What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hylomar HPF

Vans101

Well Known Member
I am reading my SD-20 alternator installation manual and they recommend using a thin coat of Permatex or Hylomar HPF on the gaskets.

Has anyone used these products on an aircraft engine?

The material advertises that they are impervious to oil and solvents and this sounds good for sealing oil leaks through gaskets however if this stuff gets loose in the engine that might not be so good.

I was considering using it on the oil pan and accessory housing gaskets as well.

Any feedback?!?!?! THANKS!!!

I have used Hylomar on all my pipe thread fittings with excellent results. No issues at all. This from an A&P Airline friend.

Permatex #2 (non-hardening version) has worked well for me and can be found at any local auto parts store.

Permatex anaerobic is what I used on the pan and accy case. The squeeze out won't cure and stays liquid, so no issue with things breaking off and creating problems. Also easy to find. This has become my go to gasket dressing. It's easy to remove on disassembly as well.

Larry

Last edited:
Hylomar blue is one of those well kept trade secrets. When nothing else will seal it, I'll go find my hylomar. Recommend you get a tube to keep around.

Hylomar. I am told it was originally developed for Rolls Royce. Stays soft, stays put, and lacquer thinner will remove it, so little or no gasket scraping.

Working on a leaky through stud on the case, why did I not think of the tube of Hylomar Blue sitting in the drawer. Thanks!

Back