What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS input for Artex ELT 345

csdominey

Patron
Having trouble finding a GPS input device for my ELT. Would like to use a small, stand alone tracker that you might see on a car, but hard wired and with an appropriate data output.
I have an old Lowrance Airmap which seems to be a good standby device, but not sure it would work, being a 6V system.
My panel is all steam gauges, so not looking to replace it all just yet. Thanks for any help.
Cliff Dominey
Alvin, Tex
N977CD reserved

Cliff, are you sure it's worth the bother? Even without the gps input the satellites can get a pretty good location. Mine went off in my garage once and when I asked the nice Air Force officer who called me what location they had for the signal she narrowed it down to my street address!

Dennis

I am considering the Garmin GPS 18 to provide a GPS signal to an Artex ELT 345 when I upgrade my ELT. It is about $70 new. A few points I have learned: (1) the Artex has to be programmed to accept the NMEA GPS format from the Garmin, (2) the Garmin runs on 5 volts, so you have to step down from the 12 volt aircraft system, and (3) the Garmin has magnets in the base you may want to remove (there is a thread on VAF that discusses this). I got the idea from the ACK E-04 installation manual that discusses an alternative GPS source instead of pulling a signal from the avionics. My -8 has a GRT Sport EFIS but I really don’t want to open up the wiring to get the GPS signal since I am not the builder.

Back