What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hot weather hard starting

n518jh

Here in the Phoenix area, summer comes early. My hangered 2012 RV-12, 400 hrs is beginning to be hard to start. It always does, at the hanger, either by trying all combinations of choke/throttle, or a hair dryer through the oil flap for about 5 minutes. Any suggestions? Could it be the ignition modules? and, does it help to keep the battery on an Odyssey charger when in hanger? Help Mark

Start with the easy to check parts

I'd suggest that first, you pull the battery and do a stress test on it. Maybe the local auto parts place can do that, I don't know. It will pass or not - if not, replace battery then check starting performance. Good skill!!!

Never hurts to have battery fully charged. Engine needs to crank fast (I think 500 RPM) in order to self-generate enough voltage for CDI ignitions to make spark.

My experience in hot summer (northern Ohio) is same starting procedure as winter ops. First engine start of the day requires full choke with closed throttle. If it's a warm day then choke is released right after engine start.

Choke is really the wrong terminology for Bing carb. "Choke" is really an enriching circuit used for starting (no choke plate in throat of carb). Enrichener only works when throttle is in closed, or nearly closed position.

Motorcycles with constant velocity carbs (Bing, Mikuni, etc.) need enrichener for first engine start even in warm weather.

Last edited:
Mark,

I?m based at Glendale airport (GEU). My 12 kicks right over and always has. Where are you based? Happy to help if I can. AZJULIAN is a local friend and a lot smarter than me! Seems like the three of us could figure it out.

Rich

As Jim says - make sure the throttle is fully closed when using the choke otherwise it won't start.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the ignitions on..... Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Back