What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New voltage regulator

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
Looks like B and C has a new product specifically for the Rotax 9xx engines.

AVC 1 is the model number, not yet on their website but a call to them should get the info.

90159381_2824246251008041_4958395556884905984_n.jpg

Last edited:
All I know is what I saw on another homebuilt aircraft forum.... (ends with "ans" also)

Copied/paste from the site where I saw the release announcement.

Here are some details.
The charging voltage is adjustable if needed to meet battery charging requirements. It is factory pre-set at 14.4V.
Over voltage protection is built into the unit. The OV protection kit that we sell for other permanent magnet regulators is not needed with this unit.
The warning light output provides two types of warning.
Charge System Fault (CSF) is a steady light that is active after the OV protection has activated or when you remove power from the control input, (due to turning off the alternator switch or a wiring fault). Resetting the OV protection is accomplished by cycling power to the control input, (cycle the alternator switch).
Low Voltage Warning (LV) is a flashing light that comes on at one of 3 user selected voltage thresholds, 12.7V, 13.0V, or 13.3V. This is to accommodate both sealed lead acid and lithium batteries. The LV warning can also be disabled for those using an EFIS to display warning indications. A flashing input usually doesn’t work well with an EFIS and the EFIS itself can normally be configured to monitor bus voltage and provide LV warning. When the LV is disabled, the CSF warning is still active and can be used as an input to an EFIS if desired.
The power components used internally are high current devices with lower loss which results in less heat generated. Firewall installations are fine and we don’t expect to ever need supplemental cooling. If the cooling is in question, you can put an external heat sticker on the case of the regulator and as long as the high case temperature doesn’t exceed 185F (85C), it should be fine.
The unit weighs 0.5lbs which is lighter than both the Ducati and Silent Hektik.
The wiring interface duplicates the Ducati so retrofitting a Ducati installation is a simple plug and play swap. There is a slight difference in the thickness of the mounting flange compared to a Ducati (AVC1 is thinner), so a different length mounting bolt may be required. The difference in bolt length compared to a Silent Hektik installation will be significant and will always require a change in bolt length.
No capacitor is required by the regulator as long as a battery is online. Some installations may find a filter capacitor to be helpful if they experience an issue with electrical noise.
No minimum load is required by the regulator to regulate.
It’s made in Kansas with US based support.

Last edited:
Great find Mike. It will be interesting to see how competitively priced they are.
I like the flexibility that the adjustments offer. Sure looks like it will meet all of our needs and is pretty much a no-brainer for installation. The only thing that is left is some field tests and reliability figures. I think you may have found my next mod.
Thanks again.....Tom

B&C Good

Now if B&C could just come up with carburetor floats that last a reasonable amount of time thy would have the market for that item too. I know that they produce only electrical equipment but just hoping here. Hope that the B&C VRs work well - that would solve 1/2 of our routine maintenance problems. :cool:

Back