What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Rotax Course?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I've done some research here and I'm still not sure which two day Rotax Course I need in order to work on my 912ULS - ELSA - RV-12. Please advise - thanks.

Lockwood out of Florida offers a few different Rotax courses. They are having one in Virginia early June also.

Lockwood has been much more responsive and helpful in my questions about a Rotax I have than California Power Systems. Left multiple messages at CPS with no response.

There is not a requirement for any course in order to work on an ELSA. You only need the repairman course if you are doing the condition inspection on your aircraft. I would suggest going to a engine course if you plan on working on your Rotax.

The 16 hour course above will get you the repairman certificate. This is needed for doing the condition inspection. There is a 120 hour course that will allow you to do inspections on your ELSA and repairs and inspections on other peoples SLSA and get paid. Rainbow offers both courses.

I recommend doing the ROTAX Line Maintenance and Heavy Maintenance courses put on by ROTAX through Lockwood, CPS and others. Each is two days long and will give you the knowledge and confidence to install and maintain the engine properly. You will end up with an Independent Rotax Maintenance Technician certificate that allows you to work on the engine and keep the warranty in force. To keep IRMT status you have to either retake the course or a shorter 1 day refresher every two years. My engine maintenance background was limited so I took both and repeated each at the two year interval. I found them to be very informative and helpful.

maintenance courses

I took the 2-day Rotax 912 inspection course at Lockwood in Sebring, FL, while I was building my RV-12 and found it informative and useful. But it gives you official permission to work only on the engine. It covers 100-hr inspections and routine maintenance related to the 100-hr inspection, like changing oil, balancing carbs, and compression check. Additional coursework is required in order to do major maintenance.

I later also took the 2-day LSA inspection course taught by Rainbow Aviation, offered in the Orlando area immediately prior to Sun n Fun. This qualified me to apply to the FAA for a Repairman Certificate that allows me to do the annual condition inspection on the entire airplane, but only on my own airplane.

It seems illogical to me but anyone is allowed to do maintenance on an experimental airplane. However, signing off inspections requires appropriate certification.

Lockwood and Rainbow

Charlie 12 is right on, the course at Lockwood in Sebring ,Fl is excellent and is taught by Dean , Who is the most knowable one I know of on Rotax. Rainbow course qualifies you to do your conditional inspections on your AC. GL ben

Back