What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help on page 9-11

Subwaybob

Well Known Member
Would someone look on page 9-11 and tell me if those idiot stupid idiot stupid idiot ribs need to be reversed on the right elevator and why. Riveted the small side on the bottom skin and I don't want to drill it out. I will if I have to but not excited...

From the instructions on page 9-5 :
"Note that, except for
the root ribs, the flanges of all the ribs are directed outboard on both elevators."
I would read that as yes, the ribs are reversed on the right side.

From the instructions on page 9-5 :
"Note that, except for
the root ribs, the flanges of all the ribs are directed outboard on both elevators."
I would read that as yes, the ribs are reversed on the right side.

I have them reversed. If you look on 9-11 they are reversed top to bottom ALSO! I'm like "WTH?!" I get that they all concave towards the outside. Wondering if the small part of the rib can go on both bottoms and not one set being on the top...?

By doing what you're suggesting, won't that have the "apex" of the triangular ribs pointing towards the front of the elevator on the right side?

By doing what you're suggesting, won't that have the "apex" of the triangular ribs pointing towards the front of the elevator on the right side?

That's exactly right. Thanks for making me see the light! Just finished drilling the whole stupid skin and changing them out.

you'll only get more experienced not more details

If this is bad wait till you get to section 29 you'll have to come up with new words for "stupid".

And that is just the beginning of getting even more vague. The good news? you'll be a veteran by than.
Be sure to check out Tim Olsons site for his build steps, that will answer a plane load of questions along the way!
best of success in the build!
its worth every rivet!

And that is just the beginning of getting even more vague. The good news? you'll be a veteran by than.
Be sure to check out Tim Olsons site for his build steps, that will answer a plane load of questions along the way!
best of success in the build!
its worth every rivet!

Thanks Reid, This is my second build. Built a 7 too. The second time around seems to be easier to understand Vans instructions.

Back