What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage Regulator Replacement

Jumbo

Well Known Member
Hi,

the RV-3 which I have imported is flying however it does not have a voltage regulator so I need to get one wired in (I am not builder I am afraid but a friend will do that for me).

Too, I don?t have any information about the Alternator as well ? here is picture:
iep35v.jpg

The question is what kind of (specs) Voltage Regulator I should get:

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/zeftronicsreg.php?clickkey=7480

Any help around?

Thanks Heinz

Is the alternator working, or not? Many alternators have built-in regulators, and don't need an external one.

I'm assuming the alternator isn't working, or you wouldn't be asking......

sorry, need to be more precise ...

The alternator is working indeed and actually pumps out 16.5+ Volts. That already killed the second Odyssey PC680 before I could configure the Dynon D10A to show the Volts in the one on screen window and realise this is happening.

So I am thinking to get a Voltage Regulator in to - well - regulate to just below 14 Volts.

What I need to find out though is what Voltage Regulator I will need (however I don?t know what Alternatot I have I am afraid).

Thanks for looking and any help is welcome.

Heinz

Here is one that will work just fine. (I use that one for my backup alternator). There are many others. Here is a common Ford VR166.
You can also search this archive for many others.

I suspect this is an internally regulated alternator, so you need to either get it repaired or obtain a replacement.

Regulator

I suspect this is an internally regulated alternator, so you need to either get it repaired or obtain a replacement.

I agree with Walt. your picture looks like a typical Nippon Denso which is interrnally regulated (unless it has been modified). If that is the case, take it or the part number to a parts store that sells japanese automobile parts to find a replacement.

A good automobile starter/alternator repair shop should be able to repair it also.

If that is imposible, look in the "search" function here in the forums to find an article on how to remove the internal regulator, rewire that portion so that it will work with a separate regulator.

Good luck!:)

wow - I am impressed ...

... about the swift and valuable answers. Indeed that might be the case (device with internal Regulator). Will take it off and get it checked.

Many thanks, Heinz

Back