What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the 2021 Condition Inspection

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
2021 marks the 20th anniversary of the completion of the RV-8 that I recently (Dec 2017) bought. In 20 years it has accumulated 2,172 hours of, mostly, issue free service. I just finished up the 20th, well 21st if you count the pre-certification one, condition inspection.

This year's inspection went reasonably well, but I was introduced to a couple of issues I hadn't experienced before. The full story is linked below. I primarily wrote this up for myself to provide more details of I what I did in the future, since the remembery isn't what it used to be. A checklist and log book entry don't necessarily capture everything.

Since it already exits, I figured I would share it with the group in case it could be of any use to anyone. If nothing else, it is guaranteed to cure your insomnia.

https://www.rushesroost.com/post/rv-8-and-the-2021-condition-inspection

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Steve; good reading. I'm coming up on my first condition inspection .. hoping to go for at least another 20!

Condition inspection

One more thing. My RV6A has 1200 plus hours, no major problems. I try to check all nuts for tightness, air frame and engine. We found something this time we haven’t seen before on any airplane. The four bolts that hold the left axle on were lose. Nilock nuts, but they were just beyond hand tight. Please check these nuts on any inspection. It can cause shimmy or something more.

Back