What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Funky rivet on an unfinished fuel tank

N14KR

I'm preparing to close-up my -14 tanks and went over all my rivets. I found one near the forward leading edge that's proud of the surface, either bc proseal got underneath and/or my poor solo riveting of that particular rivet on a curve (circled in blue):
IMG-0184.jpg

Inside, i had previously been very generous with proseal on all the manufactured heads so it's completely possible I won't have an issue at all but just a poor job on the outside.
IMG-0186.jpg

My question is what to do with that rivet? I fear disrupting all the cured proseal (it's been ~6 weeks since that piece was riveted) and making an issue worse than maybe it is. I am debating filling the open tank with water (I build at home workshop) to see if there's an issue there, but realize that may not catch an issue. I figure it's best to address now before that baffle is rivetted in.

This one rivet seems to be always on my mind!

If it were mine, I'd leave it alone. No sense in causing issues trying fix problems that may not exist. You could fill it with water if you wanted. It's not a definitive test but it'll catch a big leak. Mine held air pressure for two weeks and still had a tiny little leak. These pages are full of ways to fix these tiny little leaks after the fact. I think you'll be fine. Water is heavy so make sure you support the tank well before filling it.

Just me

if it was me, i would fix it. The tank is clean, no fuel reside yet. seems it is easy to get too. and the proseal should adhere well to the other stuff because it is not contaminated. Just use a wet rivet too. JMMV. JMO

If you wait until it leaks, than the tank has fuel residue, proseal may not stick as well, etc

If it were mine I would fix it. Very EZ to fix now. NO BETTER FEELING than filling those tanks with fuel, while on the plane, and they DONT LEAK.

Back