What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nav Light sealant

hamblin10

Does anybody understand why Vans would not want you to apply sealant to the areas I circled in red? They seal the entire nav light standoff fairing but where rainwater might seep in. Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    92.3 KB · Views: 139
Does anybody understand why Vans would not want you to apply sealant to the areas I circled in red? They seal the entire nav light standoff fairing but where rainwater might seep in. Thanks!

I believe that is the area that the flox was applied to - a sealant between the tip rib and the flox there would affect the fit. That said - I had an issue with the light bracket blocking one of the rivet holes - Vans sent me a picture of one of the SLSAs they were building and it had a bead of sealant on top of that joint and the middle 4 rivets omitted.

(My real guess is that they did not do the flox at all - just filled the gap with the sealant & left the 4 middle rivets along the top out.)
Since I had already done the flox I just smeared sealant along the top after I riveted the fairing on.

I think I used 3M 4200 at that spot. I ran out of proseal and wanted something quick to put on there.

Back