What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DAR question-post 5 hour phase 1 logbook language

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Can someone help with required logbook entry after a “major change” autopilot addition that required a 5-hour phase 1 test period per local FSDO. The following is what my operating limitations say, and entering the weight and stall speed seems reasonable, but do I really need to do a full set of climb tests to recalculate Vx and Vy even though the autopilot addition has no significant impact on these numbers? If not, do I just use the numbers calculated for and noted in my original phase 1 entry?
Thanks.

[”After incorporating a major change as described in § 21.93, the aircraft owner is required to reestablish compliance with § 91.319(b) and notify the geographically responsible FSDO of the location of the proposed test area. The aircraft owner must obtain concurrence from the FSDO as to the suitability of the proposed test area. If the major change includes installing a different type of engine (reciprocating to turbine) or a change of a fixed-pitch from or to a controllable propeller, the aircraft owner must fill out a revised From 8130-6 to update the aircraft’s file in the FAA Aircraft Registry. All operations must be conducted under day VFR conditions in a sparsely populated area. The aircraft must remain in flight test for a minimum of five (5) hours. The FDSO may require additional time (more than 5 hours) depending on the extent of the modification. Person's nonessential to the flight must not be carried. The aircraft owner must make a detailed logbook entry describing the change before the test flight. Following satisfactory completion of the required number of flight hours in the flight test area, the pilot must certify in the records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with § 91.319(b). Compliance with 91.319 (b) must be recorded in the aircraft records with the following or similarly worded statement: "I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso_______, Vx________, and Vy_________, and the weight________, and CG location_______ at which they were obtained".

Wow. Can't believe they deemed that a major change. I would probably just re-do the tests, given that you will be spending 5 hours flying in circles with nothing else to do anyways.

Larry

Wow. Can't believe they deemed that a major change. I would probably just re-do the tests, given that you will be spending 5 hours flying in circles with nothing else to do anyways.

Larry

Here is the section refered to -

? 21.93 Classification of changes in type design.
(a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A ?minor change? is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are ?major changes? (except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section).

I guess an autopilot could be considered minor under "operational characteristics" if it has the ability to be switched off...:)

Typically addition of an autopilot is considered to be major because it is directly connected to the aircraft's control system.
As to what testing is required, that's your call. I would recommend that, at a minimum, you test the operation of the autopilot in all possible configurations and make sure that it has no effect on the control system when turned off.

This has been rehashed multiple times, including clear input from Mel most recently, within the last 2 weeks here on VAF. FAA has pretty clear language that anything that affects the control system is considered a “major change,” and this included the addition of an autopilot per my FSDO’s interpretation. It doesn’t require the paperwork that new engines or props do, but a is major change nonetheless that requires another phase 1 and the appropriate logbook entries.

I just need to know how to reconcile my “major change” with the required logbook language for return to phase 2.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The language at the bottom of your original post ?or similarly worded statement.?

Not to question the validity of testing a newly installed AP system, but, how does the FAA know that it did not come with AP when the first AW was applied for? I don't remember any documentation being logged as far as what type of avionics were installed?

Not to question the validity of testing a newly installed AP system, but, how does the FAA know that it did not come with AP when the first AW was applied for? I don't remember any documentation being logged as far as what type of avionics were installed?

That?s not an uncommon argument or uncommon reason for just moving forward, but that?s not following the rules. I?ve talked to FSDO people before who said, ?don?t need to do anything? for that type of stuff.

Thanks Jesse. I had overlooked the “or similarly worded” phrase. It seems like that gives me enough leeway to log something both relevant to my change and within the spirit of the operating limitations. Rare in EAB world, where exact language is often required!

BTW, the AP74 I installed with the servos came from you a number of years ago. Just hadn’t gotten around to installing it as I was having too much fun flying. That said, after all the testing, the AP74 operates perfectly and the knob hasn’t fallen off yet, if you remember the one I’m talking about!

Thanks again.

Back