What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Amazing Day First 2 flights!

ty1295

Well Known Member
Today was the day so many of us look forward to.

RV9A, Originally builder was Carl Peters who posted on here several years back. He got the kit just past quick build status, I was lucky enough to do all the personal item selection like Dynon, Titan IO-340, Catto Prop, etc.

I purposely did not install any Aileron trim yet as I wanted to see how the plane flew first. I am happy to saw we were able to fly completely hands off first flight.

I can also attest to how valuable I found the "ADDITIONAL PILOT PROGRAM". I am very fortunate to have a 700+ hr RV Time and builder on the field, CFII and co-pilot of the 747 that flew into Oshkosh this year just a few hangars away. He has been super valuable in his insight on building, and today the flying. I did the takeoff with minor verbal suggestions. During the flight one of us could fly, while the other watch engine status, radios, etc. Being a low time pilot I knew I wasn't ready to solo a new airplane, but surely wanted that first flight of an airplane after years of work and an empty piggy bank.

As I have read on here before, keep pounding those rivets and dedicate time on a regular basis and you will make it.

20190930_091922-1024x768.jpg

20190930_092513-1024x768.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtafzWTh_tQ

Congratulations Jeff and Becca! Job well done! I will be in your woods in several weeks. We have to go to the same place we flew in 2013.

"ADDITIONAL PILOT PROGRAM"

Can someone please link the "ADDITIONAL PILOT PROGRAM"?
Someday will be our first flight...
So I need to work at being ready.
Thanks, Larry

Can someone please link the "ADDITIONAL PILOT PROGRAM"?
Someday will be our first flight...
So I need to work at being ready.
Thanks, Larry

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-116.pdf

Here is the AC, basically you need to do some pre flight testing (engine flow, compression, etc.) and log that in the aircraft log book.

For the first 8 Hours you can use a qualified pilot which is determined by a score sheet in the AC. After 8 Hours and as the owner/pilot you perform a checklist of maneuvers the requirement goes down significantly for what they call Observer pilot.

For me it allowed one of us to fly, while the other watched the engine info to make sure everything was in the green. Something you could easily get distracted by yourself in a new plane, and if like me not a lot of recent flight time.

Congratulations! What a thrill. Now take the cowling off and check everything over. Things want to come loose after the first few flights. (Ask me how I know)

Congratulations! What a thrill. Now take the cowling off and check everything over. Things want to come loose after the first few flights. (Ask me how I know)

We did 2 flights on the first day. Cowl came fully off both times and small corrections were noted both times for sure, you are correct things magically happen in the air that make you scratch your head on the ground.

Right now cowl is off again, biggest issue on 2nd flight was sticking brakes. Makes you look like you don't know how to taxi or drank too much too soon celebrating. Some parts and ideas are on order, plane be assembled for fairly large local airshow going on at airport where it will be displayed as I believe it is the newest airplane on the field currently. KLOU Bowmanfest

Great 1st Flight!

Congratulations Jeff!!!
Amazing video. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Specially the people also building a -9A :D
It gives an energy boost to keep building to reach our dream and don't listen to people that try to make you believe you can't accomplish.
Nice job!
By the way, what size prop do you have in there? :eek:

\
By the way, what size prop do you have in there? :eek:

It is a 3 blade Catto. Nickle Leading Edges 66" dia x 76" pitch, specific to the Titan IO-340 it sits in front of.

We believe it will more of a cruise prop based on the initial 1 hr or so of flying, but should work out just fine.

Congratulations! A big inspiration to us other -9A builders!

Enjoyed the video as well. Have fun and be safe during Phase I.

Back