What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measure 10 times, cut once

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hello All,

I'm getting ready to make the cuts in the forward side skin for the tipper canopy latch mechanism on my 9A. Before I slice into my baby, can someone please double check the positioning of my template for the cuts?

I've lined-up the top "holes" on the template with the top row of rivets, and positioned the top left hole 48 9/16" forward of the aft edge of the forward side skin.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Fellow 9A Dude. I will measure mine in the morning if you want. It is always freaky cutting into perfectly good aluminum skins.

Im working on all the stuff I have no experience with now (engine & wiring) and spend a LOT of time just staring at the plane. Ugh!

I built a 7A, not a 9, but I will tell you that I probably agonized more over that cut/drill operation than just about anything else on the plane. The thought of screwing up a *perfectly good* skin after the untold hours getting the fuselage to that state sent me into a serious case of paralysis by analysis. I measured and measured and measured, taped the template in place, measured about 20 more times, and looked at it for *weeks* before my buddy finally said "CUT THE DAMNED THING!"

It all came out perfectly. Just take your time with the initial drilling (undersize!) and then carefully file to final shape. Don't get in a hurry with the file, take your time, measure often, and then..."CUT THE DAMNED THING!" :)

Last edited:
Tom, send me email and I will send you pictures. After looking at it again, I don't think it is really that critical where it goes. You can make the rod longer or shorter to make it work. My email is at the bottom.

Tom, send me email and I will send you pictures. After looking at it again, I don't think it is really that critical where it goes. You can make the rod longer or shorter to make it work. My email is at the bottom.

Yes, but if you are installing some particular interior side panels, they have cutout(s) in place based on the planned location. Might or might not be a tight enough clearance that a small difference in location would matter...

Good point! I will bring my interior panels to the hangar tomorrow and see how they fit and get another picture.

That cut made me sweat a bit, but cutting the first huge chunk out the wing leading edge for the landing light about gave me a cardiac arrest. :eek:

That cut made me sweat a bit, but cutting the first huge chunk out the wing leading edge for the landing light about gave me a cardiac arrest. :eek:

It took me about five tries to make that first cut. I kept firing up the Dremel, getting reaalllly close to the skin, then stopping to go check my cut line for the 438th time. It was pretty funny really.

Somewhere in that neighborhood.

You won't know the difference if its a quarter inch either way. The pull rod is infinitely adjustable.

Just did this myself last week. Looks correct to me. I found the small "joggle" on the straight, outside edge side of F-607 to be incorrect.....but doesn't cause a problem other than cosmetics. The most outside straight edge could be longer, and the short side that butts up against the inside of the skin could be shorter.....I actually cut a new F-607 out of some scrap 1/8" stock I had laying around....I'm far too meticulous, and I drive myself nuts.

Thank Gawd for this forum

It is so hard to do this stuff by yourself, it so good to have someone or peeps as are on here to at least run this by them.

I will be making this cut soon as well and thank all for their input.

Good luck and " Cut the dammed thing!" lol:D:D:D

Put down the cutter and consider ...

Any alternative to THIS part, vendor, model, style?

If there is an alternate, would I consider it before making THIS cut?
If I make THIS cut, and find out later about the alternate, will I regret not considering it, or has THIS cut precluded a change of parts?

I learned after THIS cut about JD Air (and the canopy latch for RV's) and decided to install JD's latch instead, requiring a removal and rework of the Vans designed version. Consider doing it twice, or maybe once the JD Air way. (VAF Advertiser) ... right margin of homepage.

Just a thought before you 'efficiently and accurately' perform the wrong operation and have to open the patient again.(PS: I have no financial or other interest in JDAir.)
:)

Any alternative to THIS part, vendor, model, style?

If there is an alternate, would I consider it before making THIS cut?
If I make THIS cut, and find out later about the alternate, will I regret not considering it, or has THIS cut precluded a change of parts?

I learned after THIS cut about JD Air (and the canopy latch for RV's) and decided to install JD's latch instead, requiring a removal and rework of the Vans designed version. Consider doing it twice, or maybe once the JD Air way. (VAF Advertiser) ... right margin of homepage.

Just a thought before you 'efficiently and accurately' perform the wrong operation and have to open the patient again.(PS: I have no financial or other interest in JDAir.)
:)

And, in an example of thinking not one or two steps ahead, but all the way...I was going to install the JD Air latch, but according to Classic Aero (at that time), it would have *precluded* using their interior side panels, which wouldn't have fit *at all*. Would have made a much larger problem later had I done it. (These are the Classic Aero Aviator panels from a couple of years ago which were all one part, not the new ones).

Think ahead, and if there's a concern, call the vendors with questions.

Back