What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maintenance on a Sod Runway

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
For those out there who maintain a sod runway , Whats the best tools and method you've found to level out the washboard effect on older sod runways short of plowing up and starting over again. Does anyone with Brumeda grass strips use river sand to level and how have you best found to do that? The sod farm next door has a new tool PTO powered from tractor that actually grinds up the ground and surfaces it for next planting but a bit destructive. But it will be golf course smooth when they finish.

Dennis,

Depends on how rough the surface is and whether the grass is patchy and needs resowing, but if they are available I suggest considering one of the really big, heavy road construction vibrating rollers if you just need to smooth out the bumps.
I have done this on my grass airstrip and it was quick and effective. The vibrating roller will obviously be more effective if the ground is not too dry. Also I guess the type of soil such as if it is sand or loam or clay may influence how effective rolling would be. If you try this make sure the machine is set to maximum vibration.

I got the idea from the local agricultural aircraft operators that tell farmers that want to put in an ag strip to try rolling the natural surface first rather than ploughing/planting.

Anything such as ploughing that disturbs the surface will require planting new grass etc which is a big job and will most likely take the airstrip out of use for a while.

Fin
9A
Australia.

Last edited:
Grass Strip

Grass strips are like golf courses. They require continuious upkeep. We roll ours every couple of years with a vibrating roller this works real good on bumps, but makes pot holes worse. We fill holes and grade smooth with a box blade. One of the biggest problems is armadillos rooting holes in the runway. It seems like for everyone you shoot, two come back. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them would be appreciated.
Gerry, VAF 172, 39FD
Repeat Builder

Dennis,

The guys at Moontown roll theirs every few years. The folks down at Peach State have been working to smooth out their strip, which used to be very rough. You might give them a call. Also, the airfield at the Triple Tree fly-in is very smooth. You might try and touch base with them as well.

My guess would be that you if you had the time and money, a great plan would be to roll the field, aerate it, sand the worst areas, then run over the field with a drag to level the sand and aeration cores. But that sounds like a lot of work. ;-)

Roll it !

I lived on a Bermuda grass turf strip airpark in NC , and we had it rolled a couple times (big vibrating type)when the roads were being re-paved. Also we, had a good sand/soil mix when it was built, but the roller took out any "lumps"..looks odd, and you have to make sure its not too wet when the roller does its thing. I liked the Bermuda because we could keep it very short even in the heat,so it drained/dried well. Only drawback is winter when its all brown. Winter rye overseed can keep it green if desired.

It's impossible to give good advice on caring for a sod runway without knowing the type of soil you have.
Just northeast of Dallas here we have what's known as "black gumbo". It is class 5 soil. It absorbs little water, but when it does, it takes weeks for it to dry. When it does dry, it cracks open.
Things that work in sandy soil, don't work here.
Different soils need different treatment.
I would suggest that you contact an agricultural agent familiar with your particular soil.

The guy at Triple Tree has a completely different type checkbook and budget than the poore boys in T'ville have.

We have tried a static roller and didn't get much improvement.

The vibrator type roller might well be the next project.

We had a gravel strip @ WN55. The Airpark debate was headed toward paving - too expensive. Then Chip & Seal - passing around a sample at the annual meeting put an end to that.
We planted grass after seeing an AOPA article on Grass Seeding of Alaskan gravel strips. We contacted the Washington State extension services and they helped us get the right grass breeds. That Fall, we dozed off the top several inches of gravel (later used to fill low spots on the easements) and hydroseeded the runway. By May, it was ready, and we didn't have to land on the easements to the sides.
Yes it is more maintenance, but who wants to tar stripe cracks in chip & seal as it crumbles apart over the years?
We have concrete number pads at each end. They are crumbling apart too.
It never stops.
But filling low spots and mowing is much easier to do, and now the strip is Soo Nice!
PS; I bought 50 Lb bags of grass seed, and hand broadcast into thin or bare spots, and onto filled holes.

Last edited:
Back