What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building while Serving

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I am at a stage where I keep having negative thoughts and I guess I just need a little pick me up.

My project is all packed up and already on a truck on its way to Ft. Lewis WA where I will be stationed come January but I will be reporting at Ft. Lee on Thursday. I keep thinking about my project, At first I envision building the Fuselage and how much I am going to enjoy the rest of the airplane but then I get these thoughts of how I am not going to have the time to even touch it let alone finish building. I plan on keeping it at a hanger which will make things even more of a challenge due to the travel time but I just hope that the enjoyment I have gotten out of the build through up through the wings will be enough to allow me to find the time to continue building.

What I am trying to get at is are there any current Active Duty Military members building at this time. If so are you able to find and devote enough time to the build?

-david

Building while serving

First of all, thank you for serving.

Although I have not built an RV, I was an Army 2LT many moons ago and would tell you that it's going to be a matter of time management (that's true no matter what the hobby is at this point in your life.)

The bad news is that the Army is not a regular job so the demands on your time are great, therefore I would expect the pace of your build to slow somewhat. And at this point in your career, the investments you make in terms of time spent learning your craft will pay dividends in the long run.

But there is absolutely no reason that you can't continue building it on your off duty time and make good progress. Having something to do that does not involve the Army will actually be healthy for you!

Good luck and God Bless!

Scott
(U.S. Army 87-08)

What Scott said..

When I was stationed at Ft.Gordon, Augusta, Ga, back in the sixties, I found a model airplane shop and their club. Off times were spent building airplanes and most weekends flying them at their field.

The same could very well be said about building an RV...just bigger parts.

The change of venue, as Scott pointed out, really recharges your batteries:) and later, flying lessons at the Ft. Gordon flying club were started and shortly thereafter, my PPL.

Best,

David,
I started building while I was still on active duty back in 2006. Needless to say I'm still building directly because of the time I spent deployed and other job related activities. You just have to factor in that you will be a part time builder and be prepared for it--it can be done!. The parts won't go bad so build when you can, mothball when you can't. Evenually you'll have a plane that will make all the trials and tribulations worth. IOW, keep your eye on the prize and you won't be dissapointed no matter how long it takes. Hooah?

HOOAH!

Building and serving

David:

I rebuilt a "basket case" Aeronca Champ while on active duty stationed at Hickam AFB, HI.

During the later part of the the rebuild, I had the use of an unused building on base. My next door neighbor in Base Housing worked in the Real Estate Office on base.

Although not quite "official", I had the use of that building for a year or so.

See the Real Estate office (or the Army equivalent) when you get to Ft. Lewis and see if they might have a similar small building that they're not going to use for a while. It may be a possibility.

David,

I'm an active duty Marine building an RV-10 that I started in 2003. My kit number is 40032 which should give you an idea of how long I've been at it. I'm about 2 years from flying; that's 2 years of building time not counting the deployed time that will get stuffed in there. I started out on the 3 year plan and am now working towards being done in 10 years. If that doesn't work out, then I'll call it the 15 year plan.

I've accomplished 4 PCS moves with the kit during this time including one cross-country from Yuma to Norfolk. An unfortunate incident with a wing stand that broke in the moving truck gave me the opportunity to re-build one of my flaps. My job is such that the only building time I get is on the weekends. I'm also getting ready to head to Afghanistan for 8 months which will be another "break" in my building.

Although I wish every day that it was ready to fly, I can't complain. Because it's taken so long I've managed to pay cash for everything. I've learned a lot of new skills and met a lot of great people. I've also been able to learn from the experiences of people who are building much faster than me. I've been able to take advantages of the advances in experimental avionics over the past several years.

There is no reason you cannot be active duty and still accomplish your dream of building an airplane. It'll just take a little longer and you'll have to do some juggling with your time.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

PJ,
What part of the kit are you on right now? I live in Montclair so we're most likely within 15 mins of each other. We need to get together and drink a few beers while swapping stories. Ever been to Wine Styles in Montclair?

I'm an Air Force civilian now (retired from AD in '08) working in the Pentagon and living the dream. :rolleyes:

Active Air Force

Im on active duty Air Force.

TDY's, deployments and PCS are my biggest challenge. I'll be moving a 90% complete project next summer.

But I wouldnt change it if I could.

I could never get anything done if I had to travel to the airport. 20 min in the garage every day has been my pace. And after a tough day on the staff, putsing on the plane is a great stress reliever.

When you guys PCS how do you go about getting the moving companies to move the project, the paperwork I was reading as well as the lady who came out to estimate said they do not move airplanes so I had to tell a small fib and call my completed wing and tail "art". Also did you crate/box it all yourself or did u let the movers do it?

-david

Langley AFB, VA

David-

All I can say is PRESS! I have the distinction of having the only garage in base housing with an airplane project in it. It's kind of nice having F-22 drivers come over and express awe and envy!

My project started in 2005, has survived 2 Iraq tours and countless TDY's, one PCS (with at least one more prior to finishing), three kids under the age of 9, and one understanding wife. As a MAJCOM staff weenie, I'm on the road alot, but I try to touch something everyday that I'm home...sometimes it's just to fondle some parts for a few minutes....but it helps keep me focused. Just eat the elephant one bite at a time!

The only thing better than building an airplane is having another one to fly while your building...maybe someday I'll get there!

Todd
MAJ (LT COL select)
Air Combat Command
A-10 Weapon System Team

PCS

I plan to rent a truck or trailer to move the thing when I get orders next spring.

Spent some money

David-

I PCS'd to Langley ealier this year, and I didn't relish the idea of handing my airplane project to movers. So I bought a 24' enclosed car hauler and pulled it with my F-150. Made some money on the DITY portion of the move to help defray the cost of the trailer. I store the trailer on base and it makes for a handy and economical storage unit.

Todd

The trailer is a great idea, unfortunately for this PCS that was not an option as I was leaving Texas my things are shipped to washinton state and I'm in Virginia. I built a crate for the completed wings and ended up fitting every airplane piece in the crate. Now I just pray there are no issues and everything arrives the same way I left it.

Keep building

David

I bought my empennage kit when I came home from Iraq in late 2003. I packed up everything nicely for my deployment to Afganistan and I will pack it up when I leave next year. As an Army helicopter pilot I get weekends (well, some of the weekend) and occasional days off. I just keep plugging along.

My kit will fly someday and it will be worth the long journey; and so will yours.

Scott Ahrens CW5

Come visit us at EAA326, 2nd Tuesday of the month at Pierce county airport. We meet @ 7 PM at the Civil Air Patrol building.
Many RV Builders, and military, active & retired.
You are most welcome.
http://www.eaa326.org/

Thank you all for serving. Other than the great advice you have gotten from others building and serving their country I can only add a thank you.

Please stay safe.

Can be done

I am an active duty guy am trying to make it work. I built my Emp in Jan 2007, then due to a home builder that fell through I did not have a house to accept delivery of the kit till Sept 2007, oh yea I deployed in the end of Sept so I got to open the kit as a late Xmas present. I have now got 4 deployments after starting my RV-7 Quick :rolleyes: Build. Things are moving slower than I wanted but at least they are moving in the right direction. I will PCS to Little Rock in Nov and I hope that is my only PCS with an unfinished plane, but only time will tell.

The tough part for me is that in this economy I could have bought a flying plane for less than I have in parts. I just keep reminding myself that I "like" to build and I will have "MY" plane when I am done and it will have everything that I wanted.

Oh yeah..Ft Lee

As cadre (E5) at the parachute pack Rigger school in '67, my company commander pushed through a request (unknown to me) for OCS at Benning.
Out of Benning to Bragg for SF school. Then two tours in the Nam.
Hang in there bud - our thoughts are with you.

Dick

I started and completed an rv8 in 23 months (standard kit) while still active duty. It can be done.

Depends on Your Job

As many have said, it can be done. I started my RV-7 in 2005 when I was coming out of a troop unit and into a staff job and thought I'd have plenty of time to work on it. And I did for about a year. Then I moved into a new job that was more demanding and required much more time TDY. Then I deployed. Then back to pulling half days (you know, 12 hours a day and half your weekend to boot :) ). Now I'm back to a more normal work schedule and have much more time to devote to it (though I'll do another deployment soon). Just keep plugging away at it. Some jobs give you more time to work on it than others and you'll probably go through several jobs while you're building.

A couple of years ago, I questioned the plausibility and sanity of trying to build given my schedule and very nearly sold it. Thank God I didn't because I really do get a lot of enjoyment out of it now. My 11 year old daughter walked out to the garage a few nights ago and said "I remember you saying this was going to be a two or three year project...five years ago!" I no longer speculate about when I'll finish. I just try to enjoy the build process. I'll finish when I finish.

As for moving...you were in a tough spot since you had a TDY enroute. I really like the "art" concept though - I'll remember that little trick! I've moved mine twice and did a partial DITY so I could put it in a trailer and transport it myself (like others have done). Just be careful. I dropped my wing while putting it back into the stand. Worst day of the build so far but I survived it and pressed on. I built all of my shop equipment to be modular so that I could move it from one garage to the next and that really simplified shop set up.

Don't feel bad when you have to put the project on the back burner for a while. It might be tough now but in a couple of years when you're working a more sane schedule, you'll be glad to have it.

Active duty building

I too am active duty Army. I started building 4 years ago. I had to put the build on hold for a year to visit, what apparently is becoming my second home...Iraq. When I got home it was back to work. Now I am 4 weeks away from taking my -10 to the hanger and putting on the last of the pieces. As soon as I get it flying and broken in I will be heading back overseas again. Bottom line it can be done, don't give up, work on it while you can, and in time you will see a completed project. It may take longer than you would like but it is well worth the wait.

Eric Kallio

Stay the Course

Your story sounds very familiar. I built my RV-4 while on active duty which included many demanding jobs, grad school, 5 moves, and a deployment. I almost gave up several times but finally decided just to enjoy the building and work on it as time permitted. Of course it took me 8 years but I am glad I stuck with it. I have truly enjoy flying it for the last 8 years. Hang in there and let me know when you are in the area. I work nearby at Fort Eustis and we can go fly in my aircraft so you can see what you are gunning for.

Regards,

Rich

Don't Quit!

To say thank you to all of you gentlemen who have served and are serving seems so trite, but I am not good enough with words to express my gratitude for the opportunities you afford me and my family. Never-the-less, it's all I have: Thank each and every one of you. I'd be honored to shake each of your hands.

Don't quit and one day you will have an incredible machine!

I'm active duty myself. Started the project in 2003 when I was enlisted and in the time since I did an interservice transfer from the Army to the Air Force (sooooooo much better btw) had 3 kids, commissioned, went to pilot training, deployed a few times, moved a few times. The project has seen a lot of storage time...but it's always ready when you are. I'm finally back at it again with my finishing kit and an engine ready to go.

Hey Pierre, I'm a former air tractor driver myself. I'll come fly all your planes if you like.......

C'mon...

Hey Pierre, I'm a former air tractor driver myself. I'll come fly all your planes if you like.......

Dave, I just turned 65 last month and in my 41st year of back 'n forths:)

A younger guy keeps his 402 on my place and I'm backing down and letting him fly more and more as the day heats up, but I can still bend an AT around with any younger guy! Gotta keep my hand in, y'know?

Best,

I only sprayed for 5 years. Mostly in a B model cat but some in the 301. I quit to go do the USAF thing. I consider Ag flying to be the only "real flying" I've done. People just don't get the whole stick and rudder thing.....

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the support it means the world. I am currently sitting in my hotel room which I will call home for the next 4 months here at Ft. Lee, I report in Tommorrow Morning wish me luck!

-david

Military build

I guess this addresses many of my concerns, but I will throw some coal on the fire.

I think I got the biggest hurdle behind me, I used the brute force attack on the wife. Now when I bring it up all I get is "just build it, I love the idea, and you won't shut up, JUST DO IT!"

I am currently in an apartment for 9 more months awaiting housing, so a full move in 9 months coming, then only another year in that house until new orders. I might be able to stay for another 3 years after that, but not high chances. The apartment has 1 car garages for $100/month and it seems ideal to me, "free" power is included, but only one outlet and a single bulb overhead. Just unsure how loud the rivet banging/neighbor complaints would be as it is a "luxury" apartment...many complain.

I am in Jacksonville, FL if there are other AD builders in this area.

Riveting in an apartment garage may wear out your neighbors REAL quick unless you can sound proof that sucker.

As far as waiting until you get into a house, probably a better idea, but PCSing with airplane parts and tools... depending on how much stuff you have you can start eating into your weight allowance in a hurry. Taking the parts with you on a partial dity is preferable as I wouldn't trust the movers as far as I can throw them. If they damage anything? Forget about it. It's going to be a challenge for you for sure.

still chugging away...

Started my RV-8 slow-build in FL in 2004, empennage and wings went pretty quick, as did the fuselage, right up until I was deployed for a year. Put it all on hold, returned, packed it in a PODS container and shipped it to NV where it's basically sat while I stare at it longingly, study the book now and then to try to figure out the steps I delayed during the process and where I actually was when I stopped working, as well as trying to make decisions so I can get back into it full force when the time is right. When will that be? Tuesday!

Had intended to take a trip with each of my three kids the summer they graduated from HS. As the first one hits that milestone this year, the timeline has been updated to 'graduates from college'. I just leaped ahead of the curve...again!

Don't despair, it may take a little while but it's about the journey, not necessarily only the destination!

Back