What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stops to short

John Tipton

I'm New Here
Hi Guys

We've swung our rudder, got the required defection (30-35 degrees), however the rudder stops, built to plan (1 3/4 inches base length) are no where near the required length, which looks like they should have a base length in the region 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches in length - what has gone wrong with our build.

Regards

John

Nothing is wrong with your build. It is a well documented fact here on VAF that the rudder stop drawings are wrong. Build a set to fit.

They also have to extend upwards a bit to miss the rudder cables vs the drawing on the plans. This means they hit the rudder horn a bit high.

Sure wish someone had a list off all the things in the design that need modification to work right. Run every part number/item through a search on here before you start work.

Another fun one will be how much rudder deflection you can get if you set your pedals to the forward positions. The linkage will make a pretty acute angle to the hole that cable goes through and will hang up or just not go through at all. Another 20 year old Vans problem.

Steve

Hi John,

I read your post about the rudder stops being too short.

What model RV are you building? I'm just about to mount the rudder stops on my RV-14.

Thanks,
marriner smith

The factory recommended stops work just fine per plans, except cut them a bit on the long side and simply trim, sand, file down until you get the correct travel. Then rivet them on permanently.

Back