What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Molex Pins / Connectors

CJ in EP

Molex Pins / Connectors Question

While this one seems fairly obvious, I want to ask just to be sure, and because I forgot to buy a molex pin extraction tool and I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

In the picture below, are the pins grouped with the proper connectors? And to understand connector gendering, the connector on the left, once assembled, would be male connector, correct?

20190309_112050-M.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
While this one seems fairly obvious, I want to ask just to be sure, and because I forgot to buy a molex pin extraction tool and I don't want to paint myself into a corner.

In the picture below, are the pins grouped with the proper connectors? And to understand connector gendering, the connector on the left, once assembled, would be male connector, correct?

20190309_112050-M.jpg

Thanks in advance!

I think they are grouped backwards.

IIRC, they will will work either way.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Molex & connectors in general

As Gary said - they are reversed ie reverse the pins/sockets or the connectors.
FWIW - the install convention is the have the sockets (female) on the power source side, due to the design there is less chance of shorting the connector out on the airframe etc if the wires are live if the connector comes apart. ;)

You probably already know this - but get an extraction tool, especially if you are just starting the wiring. Simple, cheap, and I don?t care how careful you are - essential.

Lars

You probably already know this - but get an extraction tool, especially if you are just starting the wiring. Simple, cheap, and I don?t care how careful you are - essential.

Lars

Absolutely -
In a pinch, you can take some shim stock, even card stock, and roll it into a small tube. That works, but the extractor is cheap as mentioned.

Extractor

My limited experience with Molex is that there is kind of an art to removing the pins from the plastic receptical once they are installed - kind of like riding a bike - hard at first but easy after you gain experience. To that idea, I suggest that you purchase at least two high quality extractors - I broke one early in the learning process. Secondly, get a few 'extra' Molex connectors and a lot of extra pins. Practice crimping the wires into the pins. Get a good crimping tool. This alone will save you time in the end and I think that is one key to getting the crimps correct. . Then, make up a practice male and female connector and practice removing the pins from them.

After you are proficient, then take on your wiring tasks of the airplane. Do not settle for less that a perfect crimp on each wire. Time and $$$ spent learning how to properly crimp these connectors will save you time and headaches later. I messed up quite a number of Molex pins and even a few connectors before I was happy with my ability to do it right!

There is good how to info in the first few pages of the construction instructions of each Van's kit. Also, there are some 'how to' videos on the internet that will help you greatly. Best to you - Ed

Back