Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 03-03-2022, 07:24 AM

Default RAM

I like the Ram mounts but if you have a new iPad Mini 6 be prepared to wait. Here's what they told me a few days ago.

>>>>>>>
Hello, Mike,

Thanks for writing to us at RAM. We're planning on releasing that new cradle RAM-HOL-AP36U in June. Please click "notify me" on that page on our site and we'll send email when it's ready to order. Thanks.

Brian P | Customer Service
National Products, Inc | RAM Mounts
8410 Dallas Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98108, USA
rammount.com
2023 Donation Paid
Old 03-03-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
I have a Mini that I use in the RV-3 and the little jet, and honestly, i just let it sit on my leg. The cockpits are small enough that it doesn’t; really go anywhere, and if I have a problem with glare, or the print is small enough that I need to get it closer to read, I don’t have to detach it from a mount - or even a strap.

Not for everyone, but works for me….

Paul
I usually velcro mine to my knee board. Sometimes I dont.
I can tell you it can go somewhere though. I hit some turb flying my RV4 flying through the Colorado Rockies and mine
Levitated and hit my face...
Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:38 AM

As I upgraded from the mini4 to the mini6, I needed a new mount. The Rammou t was not available when I got the 6 so I designed one on Tinkercad. Holes fit mini4 EZRoll mount holes locations. I can post the STL on Thingsverse if there is interest.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:15 PM

Default Scosche MagicMount

I have been using the Schsche MagicMount Dash Pro in my -4. I've been surprised with how solidly it holds. I'm not an aerobatic pilot, so I can't comment on how it handles aerobatics, but it handles pretty rough turbulence just fine. I've been thrown against my harness hard enough to have my headset tap the canopy without knocking the iPad loose. It's never come loose accidentally - well except when I've knocked it with a knee when entering or egressing.

I love how easy it is to pop the iPad onto or off of the mount. When I want a closer look at the device I just grab it then pop it back onto the mount. I have two of the mounts attached to my panel, one for the iPad Mini and one for occasional use with my iPhone.

The mount is held to the panel with adhesive and the plate on the back of the device is held on with adhesive, either directly on the iPad as on my Mini 3, or on the exterior of a case as on my current Mini 6. I easily removed the plate from my Mini 3 with some fishing line.

One thing to keep in mind is the plate on the back of the iPad or iPhone is just a steel plate, but it will interfere with wireless charging on the iPhone. You can learn more about wireless charging options on the Scosche site. Sadly, the iPad Mini doesn't support wireless charging.

The lack of a solid connection to the iPad will mean this mount not suitable for everyone, but it works great for me.

Donated Dec, 2021
Old 03-07-2022, 07:00 AM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and photos. Don’t have room on the panel for the ball mount. Any suggestions on where/how to attach a ball mount on the right side of the cockpit?
Old 03-07-2022, 08:18 AM

At first I used a Steve Melton iPad mini mount attached to a bracket bolted to the behind panel cross brace (pic #1). It bounced a little too much and sometimes had glare problems, so I bought an articulating mount at Walmart and mounted it to the tunnel cover. That one worked much better and no glare (pic #2).

Click image for larger version

Name:	F11F0FA7-76CC-4C8B-903B-8D2422EDF576.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	23087

Name:	6D48AE1B-6310-42E9-A5C8-F502097996EC.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	23088

When I took these pictures I hadn’t figured out the orientation issue yet, so pic #2 is upside down, obviously. Live and learn.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/August 2022 build - Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 03-07-2022, 09:54 AM

I have RAM mounts for my iPad Pro 13, iPad Pro 11, and iPad Mini 6. As mentioned, the RAM mount for the iPad Mini 6 is inexplicably delayed. I've been on their "notify me" list for months. It's unusual since these aftermarket companies get early prototypes of new Apple stuff so that they can have covers and keyboards available for order on the day those iPads go on the market.

I use a suction cup mount with articulating arm on a blank spot on my panel, although I use the new Mini 6 on a kneeboard. I have suction-cupped the things to the canopy, which works fine on both my RV-9A and the Cessna's that I fly. I find the Mini to be too constraining relative to size and see the iPad Pro 11 as the optimal size. I use it for flight routinely, alternating the screen between Foreflight and remote large scale input for my GPS navigator FMS (Avidyne IFD440).

The RAM mounts are excellent. Very solid, little or no jiggling, and readily reachable. I use a non-glare screen protector which does a great job of keeping glare from being an issue.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 03-07-2022, 08:36 PM

Pivot case…you won’t be sorry.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I have suction-cupped the things to the canopy, which works fine on both my RV-9A and the Cessna's that I fly.
So the suction cup mounts really do hold well? I've been hesitant to use them in my RV6 because I've worried that over time the continual flexing (albeit likely minimal) of the plexi where the suction mount is attached - might cause the plexi to crack. I'm hoping that is an unwarranted worry.

Alternatively I was thinking of mounting a RAM ball socket mount on the support structure along the left side of the cockpit (see pics). Has anyone done used that approach (although not all RVs have that spot)?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220906_152425.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	31526  Click image for larger version

Name:	51yScTucTfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	31527  
Old 09-26-2022, 02:14 PM

I still use a nexus 7, and I double sticky taped a RAM ball directly to the back of it. The other ball is on the frame shared with the spar, about 3 inches below the side rail. I have like a 4 or 5 inch RAM arm between the 2 balls. It works great.