What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You might be an RV builder if.....

#86 You've written your builder number instead of your zip code on your return address.

#87 You've used leftover epoxy to patch holes around the house.

#88 - You have Proseal on your wife's glassware, silverware, and the refrigerator door handle.

#89 - You bought your house becasue of the size of the workshop.

90. You can refer to your wife in public as your "bucking partner" and she doesn't get upset anymore. Or you ask if she wants to "buck" and she says yes!!

91. You own an rvator domain.

RV builder

Your 2 year old daughter asks Mommy who's the man that lives out in the garage, and Mommy replies "That's your Daddy"!

If you start talking just like George and call all of your helpers Becky, you just might be an RV builder.

Neal, RV-7 Wings (Prosealing tanks )
Yes I've got all the G.O. flicks;)

Last edited:
#92 - when packing for an airline trip you try and stuff the RV plans in your flight bag on top of your company manuals so you can "study.". :rolleyes:

93. This is your website: http://www.rv7-a.com/

94. This is your automobile plate: http://www.rv7-a.com/126_2640.jpg

95. The fedex guy has your phone number and you have his, and both
of you know the "secret" place in the backyard to hide expensive
incoming parts. And he calls you when he delivers wanting to know
what it is.

96. The Fedex guy stops by every day to look at the plane and have a smoke, regardless if has any packages to deliver.

97. Even though you have completed your airplane, there is a new set
of completed wings and an empennage in your garage because all
your friends are builders and you have the biggest garage.

98. Your old friends by now have forgotten your phone number, and you
couldn't care less, in fact, you are happier.

txaviator said:
73. You cut out part of the shipping box from the empennage kit that says "Caution..High Dollar Aircraft Parts", and hang it on the wall of the garage...just because it looks and sounds so cool! :D

(Am I the only one who has done that?)
Guilty!!!! :D

fragile_001.JPG

How 'bout...

99) Your honey-do list is a mile long, the yard looks like crap, and the cars haven't been cleaned in months. Why? Because you have better things to do... You have an airplane to build!

and...

100) Your entire family has now removed the word "garage" from their vocabulary, and replaced it with "shop".

Last edited:
You might be...

101: You have been building your RV for so long that when people ask what you do for a living, you reply with, "I build an airplane."

102: You tell people your RV will be done and flying in June, but you don't specify a year...

-Ty palmer
www.typalmer.com

106. You make copies of the three-view drawings for your kids to color.

107. When you return from OSH and your friends ask what you thought of the GlobalFlyer and SpaceShipOne, you say "Huh?"

rv4mation

109. Your bumper sticker reads: "If my plane were finished, I'd be there by now!"

Last edited:
110. If your clecos and your food now live in the same cabinet...you might be an RV builder.

20040102_might_be_an_rv_builder_if.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rv builder if..

111. You have numerous pictures of your RV-4 in your wallet......none of the kids..guilty !!

You might be an RV builder if...

112. You change your password at work each month based on the N-number of the plane on Van's calendar.

113. Your front license plate bracket says, "I'd rather be building my RV-7." (Thanks, Dan C. )
dscn06339rn.jpg

114. You've repaired your lawn mower and garden tiller with rivets instead of screws and nuts.

115. The lower right quadrant of your desktop at both work and home is made up entirely of links to RV-related sites.

Don Hull

Last edited:
116) You hand out little baggies of aluminum shavings to your friends and co-workers, just to prove you're building an airplane.

117) You have a photo album that consists of 50 pictures of tailwheels and another 75 of gear leg intersection fairings !! :)

118) Some guy you meet at a cocktail party suggests you invest in precious metals, so you proudly tell him you have $15,000 worth of aluminum in your garage!

License Plate Frame

rv7boy said:
113. Your front license plate bracket says, "I'd rather be building my RV-7." (Thanks, Dan C. )

Sorry to butt this into this thread, but it's related...

License Plate Frame Sold Here

NOTE: I DO NOT MAKE A SINGLE CENT ON THESE SALES. I set up the CafePress store with everything priced at cost. REPEAT. I am not making any money off this.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

99 said:
Your honey-do list is a mile long, the yard looks like crap, and the cars haven't been cleaned in months. Why? Because you have better things to do... You have an airplane to build!

Please bear with me on this one.
Before I started building my RV I would fly over to my bucking buddy?s airport to buck rivets for him. He would pick me up in his truck and I would think to myself, ?You really need to wash your windows, heck, you really need to wash your truck! How can anyone let a vehicle get so dirty?? Well?.now my truck looks the like his!...... I have an airplane to build!!

#119 - You have a set of wings in your guest bedroom and you advertise it to guests as "an extra large novelty mirror."

Grezdlitn said:
117) You have a photo album that consists of 50 pictures of tailwheels and another 75 of gear leg intersection fairings !! :)

Absolutely true!

You might be an RV builder if:

an RV flies in to your airport, you're looking at it way too closely and.........the owner walks up and says.........."so how long have you been working on yours?"

or:

you always find a way to work something about the RV's into every conversation.

and on a related thread:

your spouse actually seems to have learned something about aircraft construction and operation plus the endless tailwheel/nosewheel and slider/tilt-up canopy arguments after years of listening to your babbling.

120 - your wife asks why there are tiny scratchy "snow like" things in the bed sheets (canopy trimmings, of course)

You think you get them all off before coming into thouse...

121 - your fingers are paint or primer stained and the same wife wants to know when they'll return to normal

Last edited:
#122 - You actually stop in the tool section at TARGET when shopping with your wife. ...in case, by some odd freak of nature, they have some tools that Cleveland, Spruce and Avery don't have.

- When your wife says "Not tonight, dear, I have a headache," you look at it as an opportunity to get some work done in the shop.

- You bring big floppy sheets of aluminum to the family room to dimple while you're watching the Superbowl with your family, and nobody thinks its unusual.

- You take a day off from work, but call in to a telecon from the shop, and eventually someone asks "What was that?" when they hear drilling in the background.

- You sit through a long, boring, useless meeting at work and daydream of all the great progress you could be making on your airplane if you had called in from home.

- On business trips, you miss your wife, your kids, and your project.

- When your wife insists on showing you dozes of paint chips for the living room, you retaliate by showing her photos of paint schemes for the airplane.

- Your life is full of trade-offs like "Hmmm...wood floors for the house, or a fuel-injected engine?" or "New dining room furniture, or a multi-function display?"

#125 - While sitting in lecture at the Naval War College, you are reading "21 Years of RVator" instead of 2400 years of Sun Tzu! :D (Hope there are no instructors on this board!)

Fitness Report for Jim

Jim,

I will make a note of that for your fitness report.

If Sun Tzu were alive today, he may be building an RV (but it would probably be an 8).

CAPT Tony Johnson

#126 when you're always reluctant to hit the 'Submit Order' button on the Spruce order page because you just know that when you hit that button, you will remember something else you needed to order.

#127 during the life of your project you and your helpers have recycled enough aluminum beer cans to build a fleet of airplane.

N822WY

#130 ...you've had a grand total of TWO rides in RVs and still wind up proselytizing other pilots that the RV is the best kit plane made.

Ride? What ride?

131, you join the EAA and they make you an Officer

The first time I ever sat in a RV it was mine. Of course it was not completed, I did go to a RV fly-in to see some before I sent my first check. So I had convinced myself that they do exist. Of course my license plate says RV-9A, We have two cats, Cleco & Rivet. Each kit purchase coincided with a major household purchase. To the cost of the plane add the cost of a pontoon boat, a Fourseasons sunroom, a 768 square foot custom deck, and a Mustang convertible. Of course the RV occupies the two car garage, had to build a carport for the Mustang. Still I have not been in a RV for a ride. Though I have finally sat in another RV. What a thrill!
I have withdrawals when I can not work on the plane. (I think somebody said that already)

Warren
Somewhere in the garage
My Builders web site
AHYUP.COM

132 You and your family refer to the shed as the "aircraft manufacturing complex"

133 You have sold another plane or a car to pay for bits for your RV (guilty of both).

134 You had to first build a shed.. sorry, aircraft manufacturing complex specifically to build your RV in.

135) You have ever looked at your hands during a Monday morning staff meeting to see that you're still wearing a duct-tape band aid from the night before on your finger.

136) You have ever used duct tape band aids becasue you've already used up all the real band aids in the shop!

(Hard day on the fingers....)

One more recent one....

137) If you think nothing of it when a friend is willing to loan you his six identical bathroom scales....

Your an RV Builder If

You built your third RV 'Borrowed Horse' in 6 months and it was no big deal.

"It ain't bragging if you can do it." Dizzie Dean 1934 World Series

Last edited:
139) ...you consider black buggers on Monday the sign of a productive weekend!

calling Aluminum Anonymous

best thread ever!!

#140(a) when the "airport administrator" (wife) asked for opinions on what color to paint the "guys" bathroom in the "main terminal building" (the house), you unflinchingly replied: "what about big sheets of riveted aluminum?" :D

#140(b) she actually thinks it's not a bad idea and considers letting you do it!!! :eek:

#141 you live in the sticks & you order a (muuuch) bigger standby generator for your house just to be sure there's ample power in the shop for your 10hp industrial compressor

#142(a) you went a tad overboard and now your shop is detached, heated, air conditioned, carpeted, phone, Bose stereo AND over 100 feet away from your house on it's very own driveway....no water or fridge (yet...)

#142(b) you somehow "forgot" to mention you spent $400 to run an enormous electrical cable out to the shop for the 10hp industrial compressor she didn't know you bought, either

#142(c) she thinks you should get the fridge :cool:

Last edited:

You are "40-something", went back to school on the company dime to earn your MBA while also building a -9, and for one of your thesis papers, you write about some guy named "Van" who started a company producing experimental aircraft kits! Oh, and after 21-pages of data, charts, and analysis, you got an A on the thesis/paper!

The fact that the MBA cuts into almost all available time for building? Well, that can't have a number...that just sucks! (only 3-more months until graduation, hopefully!)

N941WR said:
Sounds like you should also get a bed! ;)

LOL!! all bets are off when the engine arrives.... aluminum poisoning does funny things to us builders......she already knows i expect to spend quite a few all-nighters out there in the fog of "gotta get it done".....

Back