What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel problem, and a fix

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
My buddies -10 nosewheel got real loose after only 35 hours. Apparently this in not unusual for the -10, as he has at least one other friend with the same problem.

Upon taking it apart, the wear showed up in two places------between the fork and the spacer, and between the spacer and the bearing race. The spacer is actually starting to round over and match the radius of the bearing race.

[img=http://aycu04.webshots.com/image/15883/2005030809895304923_th.jpg]

After a lot of head scratching we determined that the main problem is the contact area---actually the lack of contact area----between the spacer, and the race. In addition, the rubber facing on the seal contributes to a lousy contact when considered in the context of setting, and maintaining a correct bearing preload/clearance. The main cause of a lack of contact area is the radius in the bearing race, where it contacts the spacer. Notice the contact area in the old bearing, compared to the bearing in the new wheel.

After a lot of phone calls, Steve finally decided to switch to a Grove wheel, and make a couple of modifications to the Stock Vans setup, as shown below.

The flats machined on the spacers are for anti-rotation, they mate up with a piece riveted onto the fork-------second photo shows this fairly well. In addition, the set screw locks the spacer to the inner "axle" piece, so there is no possibility of the parts turning inside the forks.

Due to the design of the -10, a screw through the fork, as in a previous thread, wont work -----------the spacer doesn't have the "mushroom" shape needed to give you a place to mount a screw. Besides, this way, there is no screw that needs to be removed to take out the wheel.

I hope this helps some of you out there, just showing one of many possible ways to skin this particular cat.

Mike

Last edited:
Oops

Well, I have no idea why the first photo; 1. didn't post and 2. is so out of focus.

I am going to try it again here, wish me luck.

Interesting that you cant see the photo until after it is posted on the thread.

Mike

Aluminum one---------you can see the end of it becoming rounded off in the photo in my second post in this thread.

MIke

Ahhhhh, I see it now...kewl fix. Specs call for 160-190 inch lbs for this size bolt...What is the most common or best torque value being used. I set mine right to 190.
Since Vans says the wheel should have quite a bit of drag when properly torqued. I have drag but not really hard to override.

A year later.

Steve just finished the annual on the plane.

The nose wheel had no further issues after this fix.

The mains however were a bit loose. Thin wall inner spacer had worn down where it contacted the bearing inner race----surprise:rolleyes:

Steve replaced the inner spacer with one that has .125" wall, and the inner felt seal setup with the same parts used on the outside of the wheel. This spacer corrected the contact issue, and the use of the other seal is needed to allow the use of the thick wall spacer.

A couple of trial fittings, and careful measurements/spacer trimming even allowed the axle nut to be re-fitted to the same hole for the safety cotter pin.

Sorry, no photos, but if anyone wants more info, let me know.

re-post photos, please

Mike:

I've always appreciated and respected your thoughts and comments.

I've just completed my annual and found the spacer grooves that you mentioned were also on my -10. Could re-post your photos, since the thread now goes to a website that only shows me a daily landscape.

I'm particularly interested in the fix. My spacers were severely grooved, and caused much wobble and play in the bearings. I installed new spacers from Van's, but they seem to rotate with the wheel, and not stay stationary. Thus, I'm afraid the same problem (grooved spacers) will again occur over time.

Thanks so much!

Jerry

I assume you aware of the new axle assembly that eliminates these problems.

If not, here is a good place to get the story. I'd highly recommend making the change. Not a peep out of anyone with the new axle.

Axle upgrade

nose wheel axle problem

Well I did disassembled the nose wheel axle assembly today for the first time to do a thorough inspection. I now understand what all the fuss was about regarding Van's axle design.

The axle spacers has obviously been turning and wearing a bit on the inside of the fork.

I want to buy the Matco axle. Can I use Van's stock wheel?

are these the correct part numbers to order for the 10

WHELAXLE24 and WHLA24SPKIT.

Thanks

Back