What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Installation for Experimental Aircraft Course - October 7-9, 2020

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Greetings VAF!

Once again the Aircraft Electronics Association will be hosting an Avionics Installation for Experimental Aircraft Course on October 7-9, 2020. The class will take place at the AEA headquarters in Lee's Summit, MO (Kansas City suburb). For complete details and registration information, please visit the AEA Course Website.

This has been a popular training opportunity that includes hands-on wiring and avionics installation fundamentals, heavily focused on the Garmin G3X Touch system. Many VAF members have attended this course in the past! It is a 3-day course at a registration cost of $499. There are a limited number of spots available and space fills quick!

*COVID guidelines and social distancing measures will be in place for the class/facility.*

Let us know if you have any questions!

Best Regards,

Brad

Last edited:
I also had the pleasure of attending AEA’s Avionics Installation for Experimental Aircraft course last month. The course was taught by Levi Self of MidWest Avionics and he did an amazing job. Anyone interested in learning the ins and outs of the Garmin G3X system should consider taking the course. I was very impressed and gratified with their COVID protocols. Thanks AEA and Levi!

Mikeavny
RV-14A
Empennage and Fuselage complete
Finish/FWF kits In progress
Engine, Prop and QB Wing ordered
2020 Dues Paid

How often is this course offered? Is this a once per year thing, or is it something they do multiple times during the year?

Having never done any electronic wiring or used any of the required tools, I could not have done my avionic’s wiring without taking this great course. When I got back home, I was able to dive right in. In the end; no smoke!

How often is this course offered? Is this a once per year thing, or is it something they do multiple times during the year?

Thank you all for the positive reviews!

This class is typically offered 3-4 times/year based on demand. I believe one might possibly be offered again in Dec/Jan time frame.

BR,

Brad

Have you given any thought to offering it on-line? Plenty of conferences in my industry (and many others) have shifted to on-line attendance.

The idea of traveling to a state with an active outbreak and a large maskless population isn't especially appealing right now.

Have you given any thought to offering it on-line? Plenty of conferences in my industry (and many others) have shifted to on-line attendance.

The idea of traveling to a state with an active outbreak and a large maskless population isn't especially appealing right now.

Hello,

For the structure of this class - it is very dependent on hands-on, instructor-led experience. Each attendee will have a workstation with a full set of tools and will be accomplishing a basic wiring harness build. The quality training would not be matched in a video conference/webinar form.

As mentioned, AEA is providing on-site COVID safety measures. However travel is at attendee discretion.

BR,

Brad

This mightn be a silly question, but how well does the skills learned in this course translate to non Garmin panels? I'll be doing a Dynon in my aircraft, and Avidyne Navigator with zero Garmin parts. Are the harnesses that are built in the course a unique to Garmin thing?

This mightn be a silly question, but how well does the skills learned in this course translate to non Garmin panels? I'll be doing a Dynon in my aircraft, and Avidyne Navigator with zero Garmin parts. Are the harnesses that are built in the course a unique to Garmin thing?

Hello,

Quite a bit of time will be spent doing an overview of the G3X Touch System (installation, configuration, troubleshooting, etc....). However all of the hands-on fundamentals/techniques learned could be applied to many different avionics systems and components.

BR,

Brad

Last edited:
Brad,

Is there a cutoff date for registration?

I do not believe so, however that would be a question for AEA directly. While the last class still had a couple open spots left, this training course has typically filled to capacity, which is kept to around 12 people for the best hands-on instruction.

BR,

Brad

Good afternoon,

Only 2 weeks to go until the next Experimental Avionics Installation class! There are only a few open spots left in the class, so if you're heavily considering attending - better hurry! Registration link available here.

BR,

Brad

Last edited:
Highly recommended

I attended this course in February, and it was well worth the cost. Lots of useful information & hands-on experience. If you're at all considering a G3X panel, even if you plan to have someone else do the panel for you, this course is worthwhile in helping to understand the options, and the pros & cons of various decisions you will need to make in designing a system that fits your mission.

Back