Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Wheel Bearing Felts

What are these for? Bearing preload?

Why do they need grease? Heat protection?

Can I coat them with Mobil 28 instead of the SHC 100 that the bearings come packed in?

TIA.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 PM

I'm going off the top of my head, but I think the instructions (either Van's or Cleveland) say to saturate them with motor oil, not bearing grease. Don't know why if this is true, and not sure what the felt seals are for to begin with (except perhaps to keep the bearing clean). Probably not much help, I know. I'm definitely interested in hearing the answers.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022
Old 08-10-2007, 01:01 AM

The felt is a reusable dust seal. When you go to pack the wheel bearings, clean the felt in solvent or dawn dish soap. Dry between paper towels and a heat gun or hair dryer. Then drop about 10 to 15 drops of oil, thin is good like air tool oil. then remove excess by pressing between paper towel. Good to go.

Oh! by the way, the best grease I have found for the bearings is STA-LUBE BOAT TRAILER WHEEL BEARING GREASE. Found at NAPA AUTO PARTS. The first time you use it you will understand. And when you go to repack them, you will be pleased at how the grease holds up.

And be sure to pack the new bearings before you install them.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:35 AM

I pulled the bearings and just packed them better with the grease they came with. It looked like Parker just gobbed a bunch of grease on each bearing and installed it in the hub. I would like to add a little more grease but that can be done easily without splitting the wheels again.

This is from a Parker document:
INSTRUCTIONS: At next tire change or overhaul remove and discard the grease felts. Thoroughly clean wheel assembly and completely remove the contained grease from the bearings, bearing bore and hub per Component Maintenance Manual. Refer to
AWBCMM0001, latest issue, for grease packing instructions. Pack bearings with
Mobile SHC-100. Install new felt grease seals lubricated with Mobile SHC-100.

http://www.parker.com/ag/wbd/clevela...duct/PRM78.pdf
Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 AM

Default SPLIT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briand
I I would like to add a little more grease but that can be done easily without splitting the wheels again.

You only need to split the rim when you need to change the tube and tire.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 AM

I had to install the original tires and tubes that came with the finish kit. I packed the bearings prior to installing the tires and tubes. I guess I was just trying to say its not a big deal to grease the bearings again, not that installing the tires and tubes was a big deal either.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briand View Post
I pulled the bearings and just packed them better with the grease they came with. It looked like Parker just gobbed a bunch of grease on each bearing and installed it in the hub. I would like to add a little more grease but that can be done easily without splitting the wheels again.

This is from a Parker document:
INSTRUCTIONS: At next tire change or overhaul remove and discard the grease felts. Thoroughly clean wheel assembly and completely remove the contained grease from the bearings, bearing bore and hub per Component Maintenance Manual. Refer to
AWBCMM0001, latest issue, for grease packing instructions. Pack bearings with
Mobile SHC-100. Install new felt grease seals lubricated with Mobile SHC-100.

A close reading of this and the Parker Technical Manual show the requirement to replace the felt is refering to instances when changing the type of grease to their new recommended grease of Mobile Aviation Grease, SHC 100 to avoid contamination with previouse lubricants. They started shipping wheels in 3/07 with the new grease. They require the grease be changed to the new type at the next required exposure of the bearings. Of course, this is written with an eye to type certified equipment.

Jekyll
Old 04-09-2014, 05:02 PM

Spoke to Parker (Clevland) today for the 5 x 5 wheel assemblies pn: 40-78B. The felt pad pn: 154-00600 is being replaced with a new rubber pad pn: 154-13000.

Parker (Cleveland) 800-272-5464

http://www.parker.com/literature/Aircraft%20Wheel%20&%20Brake%20Division/Product%20Reference%20Memos/PRM97.pdf

Last edited by kinger : 04-09-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-06-2021, 06:30 AM

Default How much oil on wheel felts???

I serviced my wheel bearings for my first time (150 hrs) on my 7 and had lubricated the felts with Mobil SHC-100 as instructed. We know that grease is simply oil mixed with soap and the surface of the contact was blackened. [corrected 4.6.21 by rocketbob - some are thickened with clay] Some have noted to lube the felt with oil.

After cleaning the felts in mineral spirits via an HF ultrasonic device. I applied some 15-W50 Aeroshell to one and Castrol Syntec 10-W40 to the other. Some have noted the availability of the lip seals an they look attractive, but since the inner seal contact sleeves were spinning I decided not to add friction to that ring and make it slip more.

Not desiring to have the oil sling out inside the wheel pant and brake disc etc and gather all that dust and crud,I pondered much oil it should hold?

A test was undertaken. The slinger below was operated at equivalent of 100 mph (2500ish RPM). Too high for landing but it is an accelerated test. The felts were loaded with 1 cc of oil.

Short version - the oil came out as expected and plotting the weight loss of the oiled felt showed that it was beginning to flatten the curve at 2 min. So, a 5 min test was run for the second seal also loaded with 1 cc. The felts were loaded then heated for a few min to ensure full wicking.

The slinger was made from a short section of 2" PVC coupling, carpet tape, the canopy cut off arbor and (yes) some aviation scrap. Epoxy is recommended for the PVC/AL bond although carpet tape worked for 15 min.

Caution - when slinging - put the device down inside a container, as it slings a fine mist of oil you won't see until it is too late. It will also serve as an explosion barrier. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5705.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	10078

I will return after some experience is gained to see how much oil will contaminate the wheel in real life testing. Maybe the rubber seal is the clean way to go as it seals on the OD if nothing else.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.

Last edited by BillL : 04-06-2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 AM

Aircraft Spruce has the new rubber seals for only $55.75/each.