Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2021, 10:40 AM

Default 6'7" 240lbs, wanting to build an RV-7

So yeah, being tall and a pilot don't usually work out the best. I currently fly a Cessna 172 and fit just fine in it. I'm 6'7", 235-240 lbs. My dad finished an RV-7 in 2014 and it was built for his 6'1" frame. I flew on a couple long trips with him (5 hours) and I was not very comfortable as my knees would bump the dash and the bar on my headset would touch the canopy (slide canopy). I was PIC on only a couple trips as I just got my license a few years ago. Even though I wasn't the most comfortable, I managed, as I'm used to being a bit cramped in everything I fly/drive. There was room for the seat to go back further, and I could have lowered the seat by removing the extra cousin. Since he just recently sold the plane, I can't really compare to see how much more room I could make to accommodate someone of my size. I know there's some things you can do during the build like moving the rudder pedals.

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide on what I want to build. A Rans S-21 or a Vans RV-7A. They both have 12-14 month wait on kits, but I want to get my spot in line. I have no problem fitting in a Rans S-21 as I've already sat in one, but I would rather have me a faster more fun RV-7A. My question is, does a tip up canopy RV-7 have more head room? Is there a way to make the canopy slightly taller during construction? I plan to also switch to a low profile headset. I don't mind a tight fit as long as I'm comfortable enough for 3 hour stints. I've read a few ideas on making RV's fit taller people and would like any new input you all might have.

Thanks!!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:55 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Chad, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-16-2021, 11:17 AM

No reason a -7 couldn't be made to work for you.

1st, headroom between a tip up and slider should be identical. They both use the same canopy, just cut in a different place.

In your situation I would do a Slider with the Anti-splat Almost a 14 mod. Should give you more than enough room.

https://antisplataero.com/products/a...-rv14-seat-mod
RV-8 SB, "Back burner project."
RV-10 Built 2010, Sold 2019
Old 04-16-2021, 12:26 PM

Default Hot switch

When we did hot refueling and pilot swaps back in the day, I would run the seat up full (normal for me) before my 6'2" buddy would jump in ... fun to watch him swear and give me the eye while he tried to find the seat adjust switch in the dark !!

He always looked a little hunched over ... but his knees cleared the lower dash.

Almost an RV14 mod will certainly give you more room aft, and since you'd be a new build you could move the seat bottom hinges aft as well.

You also have a lot of latitude with the seat block under your cushions. I would estimate that my block under the 2" cushions is about 6" tall (I'm 5'6"). That's a lot of adjustment.

Then run those rudder bars full forward, and those long legs should fit.

Seems doable. But you may be the only one to ever fly it and see over the dash!

Start 2/19 Emp complete 4/19 Wings complete 11/19 Fuse complete 6/20 Finish kit Complete 8/20 Electric/Avionics complete 9/20 Engine hung 2/21 Moving soon for assembly 4/21 - truckin' on...
- Been there, Donated 2021
Old 04-16-2021, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I flew my dads RV-7A A few times and like I said, I fit, but not comfortably. A heavy turbulence jolt over central Texas in 2019 caused me to hit my head on the canopy hard enough to give me a sore neck. A low profile headset would technically give me an extra inch of headroom and I think I could get an extra 3" back on the seat, I just didn't know if lowering the seat would cause my legs to straighten out more giving me leg room issue. I really want to build a RV-7 since my dad has already built one, has the tools, set-up and knowledge to help, but the Rans S-21 has tempted me if I decided to vacation at some remote grass strips in the boonies. I think I'll have more fun staying on pavement and hauling butt.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Does you dad still have the 7? Build the Rans, then partner up with him ....

Half interest in a 7, and a S21 sounds like a wonderful arrangement.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-16-2021, 04:20 PM

Have you sat in an S-21? I'm 6'6" 240. 38" inseam and I don't fit in either plane but the RV-7 has options for taller pilots from an outside vendor. I was very impressed with the simplicity and performance of the S-21 but there was no way I could make it fit my frame. Tons of room from the dash to my legs which is usually the cramped spot, but the distance from the seat back to the rudder pedals was way too close to be comfortable. YMVV.
N238L Reserved
Old 04-16-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoady454 View Post
So yeah, being tall and a pilot don't usually work out the best. I currently fly a Cessna 172 and fit just fine in it. I'm 6'7", 235-240 lbs. My dad finished an RV-7 in 2014 and it was built for his 6'1" frame. I flew on a couple long trips with him (5 hours) and I was not very comfortable as my knees would bump the dash and the bar on my headset would touch the canopy (slide canopy). I was PIC on only a couple trips as I just got my license a few years ago. Even though I wasn't the most comfortable, I managed, as I'm used to being a bit cramped in everything I fly/drive. There was room for the seat to go back further, and I could have lowered the seat by removing the extra cousin. Since he just recently sold the plane, I can't really compare to see how much more room I could make to accommodate someone of my size. I know there's some things you can do during the build like moving the rudder pedals.

Anyway, I'm still trying to decide on what I want to build. A Rans S-21 or a Vans RV-7A. They both have 12-14 month wait on kits, but I want to get my spot in line. I have no problem fitting in a Rans S-21 as I've already sat in one, but I would rather have me a faster more fun RV-7A. My question is, does a tip up canopy RV-7 have more head room? Is there a way to make the canopy slightly taller during construction? I plan to also switch to a low profile headset. I don't mind a tight fit as long as I'm comfortable enough for 3 hour stints. I've read a few ideas on making RV's fit taller people and would like any new input you all might have.

Thanks!!
If no one has ever told you....You will fit in an RV-8! Just saying!
Christen Inverted Oil
First Flight 12 July 2000
VAF Dues current for 2021
Old 04-17-2021, 08:44 PM

An RV-8 would be ideal but you could make a -7 work. Add the “Almost a 14” mod, add another seat back hinge further aft, move the pedals as far as possible and build the panel a bit shorter. I am 6’4” and I could easily find an extra 3-4 inches. Don’t do a center console and move the engine controls up into the dash in a removable sub panel so nothing hangs low.

Piece of cake!

1946 Cessna 140 (currently flying)
1946 Piper J3 Cub (stripped for restoration)

Exempt on multiple counts - donated double because this site is worth it!
Old 04-17-2021, 09:15 PM

Of course you need to find a RV7 and sit in, better fly it. Good luck...

2020 Dues Paid