- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:36 AM

Default Oshkosh room to share/rent?

My 16 year old son and I plan on attending Airventure this year (first time at OSH for him & 7th for me). I fly an RV7A and have camped every time, but my concern is not having enough space in the plane to pack all the gear for two people. Plus I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for him so he wants to come again.

So my question is there anyone who has rented a house within walking distance of the field that has an extra room to share/rent?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-08-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk770 View Post
My 16 year old son and I plan on attending Airventure this year (first time at OSH for him & 7th for me). I fly an RV7A and have camped every time, but my concern is not having enough space in the plane to pack all the gear for two people. Plus I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for him so he wants to come again.

So my question is there anyone who has rented a house within walking distance of the field that has an extra room to share/rent?

Thanks,

Jim
IF you do not find a room to rent, the university is a short bus ride away. You can check with them to see if you can get a dorm room.

I gave up my air conditioned room for this year and moved it to next year. IF I change my mind at the last minute, I will see if I can still get a dorm room when I know that I am going to go. I expect there will be changes at AirVenture because of COVID and really do not want to cope with COVID restrictions. Yes I have had one vaccine shot and am scheduled for the 2nd shot in just over a week.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:33 PM

If you decide to camp you can always UPS your camping gear right to OSH and then ship it back home, then you don't have to carry that stuff back and forth.
A&P IA
Old 04-08-2021, 07:25 PM

More on this shipping?
Old 04-08-2021, 07:29 PM

Yep, when camping we ship a full plastic tub. It just works.
The key is the welcome wagon or an indirect line to a chairman with a golf cart!
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser

Last edited by scard : 04-08-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 PM

Even though I have not been to Airventure myself, I have also heard from other RV pilots that the University dorms are the way to go. There is also a shuttle that leaves from the dorm on a regular bases. When I do get a chance to go, I will do the dorms.

Be aware that there are A/C dorms and Non-A/C.

Hope you have a great time with you son.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:26 AM

Default AC dorm rooms are gone

I'm on the wait list for an AC dorm room. Last Monday, April 4, I asked about my status on the list. Here was the response: "We have a total of about 600 A/C rooms. You are currently #426 on the A/C waitlist."

My guess is I won't be staying in an AC room.

Any PIREP on the non-AC rooms?

Also, the sign-up for those rooms for next year starts July 2, 2021, at 8:00 AM CDT.

I'd love to hear from someone that they have a (AC) room available for me in the house they've rented.

-jim
Dec, 2021
Old 04-09-2021, 08:39 AM

Default shipping Gear to OSH Pre-show

Thanks for all the great responses!!
I love camping at OSH, so does anybody have more info on the shipping idea?? I like to arrive on the Sat or Sun before the show and I am curious how early I can pick up my "Gear"? Don't want to show up and have to wait until the show opens to retrieve my stuff.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhk770 View Post
Thanks for all the great responses!!
I love camping at OSH, so does anybody have more info on the shipping idea?? I like to arrive on the Sat or Sun before the show and I am curious how early I can pick up my "Gear"? Don't want to show up and have to wait until the show opens to retrieve my stuff.

Thanks,

Jim
There's a UPS kiosk in the middle of the airshow grounds. You ship your stuff to it, pick it up, repack it and ship it home. I'm sure you can get to the kiosk to get your stuff before the show opens. Some people buy cheap camping stuff there and toss it in the trash when they leave.
A&P IA
Old 04-09-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsuisse View Post
I'm on the wait list for an AC dorm room. Last Monday, April 4, I asked about my status on the list. Here was the response: "We have a total of about 600 A/C rooms. You are currently #426 on the A/C waitlist."

My guess is I won't be staying in an AC room.

Any PIREP on the non-AC rooms?

Also, the sign-up for those rooms for next year starts July 2, 2021, at 8:00 AM CDT.

I'd love to hear from someone that they have a (AC) room available for me in the house they've rented.

-jim
This just in on dorm rooms for AirVenture 2022: (Copy/Paste from 2:34 PM email today)

Hello EAA AirVenture Lodging Guests!

We have made the decision to move opening lodging requests for EAA AirVenture 2022 to October 4th, 2021 at 8:00 AM CST. This change was made so our staff can dedicate more time to EAA AirVenture 2021. By pushing the date back, we are able to focus on EAA AirVenture 2021 to make sure we are providing the best service and experience possible for our guests. This also means that this year, you will NOT be able to make reservations for EAA 2022 onsite during EAA in 2021.

On October 4th, 2021 at 8:00 AM CST, our office will be staffed to accept new lodging reservations for EAA AirVenture 2022. We have also made the decision to only accept reservation requests via email or by our Reservation Request Form found on our website. We will not accept any new EAA 2022 reservations to be made via phone on October 4th. Moving toward this system allows our team to more efficiently respond to all guests. This process also provides guests with a more expedited way to request a 2022 reservation.

EAA 2022 will occur from July 25th - July 31st. We will provide lodging from July 21st - August 1st, 2022.

For additional information, FAQ's, and our reservation request form, please visit our updated webpage that reflects our new policies and procedures at https://uwosh.edu/gcc/home/eaa-airventure-lodging/

Opening day for reservations is typically very busy and we appreciate your patience with us as we respond to all guests. We look forward to seeing you at EAA AirVenture!

Amber Raygo
EAA and OPE Assistant Manager
Residence Life Conference Services
University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
Phone 920.424.3226
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.