What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting 7A to 7

banzai37

I'm New Here
Hi guys,

I have an RV7A and am contemplating a conversion. Do I need to do anything about the registration/airworthiness certificate if I convert to a taildragger?

Thanks,
- Ben

Yes - that certainly might be easier ...

Actually, maybe not. It is fairly simple to do the conversion. I did my 9A to 9 and Dan Landry (among others) converted a 7A to a 7. Search the archives as there were threads on this in the past. It basically involves new engine mount and gear legs, adding the tailwheel, and moving the brake lines. Cost 10 years ago for me was about $3500 but that was partially recovered by selling the removed parts. Took maybe 30 hours of work.

Hi guys,
I have an RV7A and am contemplating a conversion. Do I need to do anything about the registration/airworthiness certificate if I convert to a taildragger?
Thanks,
- Ben

You are not required to change the model, but you can if you wish. The procedure to change model is to amend your A/W and Op Lims and add a new data plate next to the original. Any DAR with the proper function code or FSDO can do this.

I am about to change my 6A QB kit over to a 6 now. All parts are here. I will probably take a few pictures of the process. Will be the same for a 7.

So far, my cost has been about 3k for all parts required.

9a-9

I converted my 9a to a 9. I had an issue with the motor mount. The prop on the 9 mount was about 1/4” closer to the fire wall. I had to shim the mount off the fire wall and shim behind the prop in order for the spinner not to rub on the cowling. No issue if you are yet to fit the cowling. Also, the vertical supports at the aft most station that attaches the horizontal stabilizer where tapered. I needed to replace these with untapered.

And of course you have to cover up your A holes on the bottom of the fuse.

My cost was minimal as i lucked out and found a guy doing the opposite modification 9 -9a.

7A to 7:

Remove main gear weldments attached to the carry through spar.
Remove the foot steps (If desired. Requires taking up the baggage floor panels if installed).
Change to 7 engine mount.
Install 7 gear legs.
Install the tailwheel weldment in the tail. Requires removing the rear bulkheads.
Patch the (4) holes in the fuselage. (Gear and steps).
Re-calculate W & B.

Did I miss anything?

F-611 and F-612 get modified. Easiest way to handle F-612 if the horizontal stab attach brackets have been installed is to order 2 F-612's and replace them both.

7A to 7:

Remove main gear weldments attached to the carry through spar.
Remove the foot steps (If desired. Requires taking up the baggage floor panels if installed).
Change to 7 engine mount.
Install 7 gear legs.
Install the tailwheel weldment in the tail. Requires removing the rear bulkheads.
Patch the (4) holes in the fuselage. (Gear and steps).
Re-calculate W & B.

Did I miss anything?

You'll likely have to modify the wheel pants and the gear leg fairings, as well.

Back