-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:53 PM

Default How to get started? Do I smell bad?

So I am done my empennage and on to the wings for my -10 and I thought that it's probably prudent to at least start thinking about avionics. The thought behind this was that if there are things that I should be building in, it doesn't hurt to get on those things now. Brackets, braces etc.
I started with Garmin Xpert. Mike was polite enough to get right back to me and tell me to go to the dealer network and talk to them. He even listed them and gave me a link.
I tried contacting Sarasota and Aircraft Spruce. Nothing but the sound of crickets. I also tried contacting Dynon directly. Same thing.
Am I not far enough along to warrant talking to? I get that I am not buying next week. Perhaps I don't know what I don't know and I don't need to be talking to anyone yet hence a response is not warranted. Maybe they are just busy? Just seems odd that I see all these advertisers on the forum but nobody is interested.
Perhaps I smell bad.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:57 PM

Try Steinair in Minnesota and/or the experimental division at Aerotronics in Billings, MT. I've found both to be willing to talk and very helpful. Honestly though, it'll probably be some time before you need to start making provisions for avionics.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:05 PM

I can tell you that avionics shops are busy. I can also say from where you say you are with your build that you are quite a ways, time wise, from needing to work on avionics installation. Concentrate on getting your airframe built before worrying about avionics. In the grand scheme of building, avionics is at the end of the journey rather than the beginning of the journey.
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 03-16-2021, 09:11 PM

Welcome to experimental aviation. If companies hired the number of employees it would take to help every builder then the cost savings that attract us to experimental aviation wouldn’t exist.

Most of those very broad or vague questions are probably better suited to forums like this. There are many past threads dealing with questions similar to yours. Just requires a bit of practice with the search function.

Good luck.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2022

Last edited by alpinelakespilot2000 : 03-16-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:19 PM

Welcome to VAF.
And yes, if you ask for advice, you will get lots of replies, and they’ll all say the same thing: ‘Do what I did, because my choices were the best’.
As others said, leave avionics until near the end. But it’s fun to dream.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:31 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

Paul, welcome to VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-17-2021, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerfly View Post
Am I not far enough along to warrant talking to? I get that I am not buying next week. Perhaps I don't know what I don't know and I don't need to be talking to anyone yet hence a response is not warranted. Maybe they are just busy? Just seems odd that I see all these advertisers on the forum but nobody is interested.
Perhaps I smell bad.
The good news is that it's almost impossible to make a bad choice - as long as you are clear about your mission. The main limiting factor of most of these systems is the builder and pilot. Even the most simple VFR EFIS is extremely capable.

Clearly every vendor will tell you that their system is "best" and give you a lot of reasons why.

As already mentioned, each builder will tell you what they chose is best because it was - for them at that moment in time based on the information they had available, their budget, their technical skill, their mission, etc.

If you write down your mission, share your level of interest in reading the manuals and installing avionics and electronics, rough budget, I'm sure that the collective brain of the VAF will be delighted to give you lots of advice.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:08 AM

Dynons HDX installation manual would be a good place to start. It starts with the basics and progresses into the details. It can be downloaded from their web site support pages.

I would think that AP servo brackets are something you would want to cover now rather than later if you know what system you want to install.

Other than that, ADAHRS and magnetometer locations and mounting brackets. You might also think about antennas and where they will go so that you can install doublers as necessary.

Of course making provisions for wire runs are really good also.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Retired Aerospace Engineer and A&P/IA
Old 03-17-2021, 05:21 AM

Jason and his team at Aerotronics were very responsive to me very early on from first call and have been ever since. I had no clue what I wanted or required and Jason and I worked through it over a few calls. I know Stein is also very good however believe they must be busy. They were slightly less responsive and wait times were much longer. This was a 14 months ago before Covid.

Give Aerotronics a call. 406-672-1574
2017 Waco YMF-5
Kit # 140694
Started October 22, 2019
Engine, prop, and cowling to complete
2021 Dues Paid
Old 03-17-2021, 05:42 AM

One thing to keep in mind. There may be some changes in models / features between now and when you are ready to buy. While thinking about the avionics now is a good thing, no need to nail down all the details with Garmin / Dynon / etc or dealers until you are much further along. I know Garmin has recently stated that they will not be releasing a new version of the G3X touch this year, but that makes me think that a new version will be our NEXT year. This is just as bad as trying to get an iPhone or Laptop. New stuff comes out all the time!

My advice, when you are able, go to OSH or Sun N Fun and visit the Avionics booths or see if anyone around your field has some nice avionics that you can look at / see in action.
RV10 Slow Build - #41778
Finish Kit - in progress
RV10builder.com
KVKX / KHEF