What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trailing Edge Trim Question

RV701775

When trimming the trailing edge flush with the rudder skin at the top side of the rudder, I had to remove a bit extra to remove all of the lighting hole at the top. This resulted in the wedge being slightly shorter than the top of the skin:

https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7gbEJNhMU&e=7ikb0QcQ0&listcat=&sid=

Is this acceptable?

Also, the trailing edge corners on the skin were left sharp by Vans. Do I want to break/slightly round these edges?

Thanks!

All of the skins in the kit require deburring, none have finished edges.

Breaking would bend the material about 1/8 which wouldn't be acceptable here.

I'll let others chime in to agree/disagree but the wedge looks fine. However, I went through a couple of those getting it right so it may be worth the extra effort.

Thanks. It is a fairly small amount and the trailing edge has already been drilled, so changing to out may cause more harm than good, and I am not sure if I trimmed it again that I would get a different result.

Rudder wedge

Looking at your picture I would not worry about that tiny bit of the wedge being trimmed. You have a fiberglass tip that is going into the top. And if you are really concerned contact Van's technical support.

I was petrified that the trailing rudder edge was not going to be 100% straight and would give me yaw problems. It was a little off but flies ok

RV 14A 140507 flying

There is no way to cut the trailing edge wedge that wouldn't leave the lightening hole there. Mine was the same way and I left it as is (ie half a hole at the top). Not sure the advantage/disadvantage to leaving it there vs cutting it down. I left it as I figured it is providing a little more shape to the trailing edge.

As for rounding the corners, good question. Would seem to be the prudent thing to do, although I wouldn't recommend rounding it too much.

I rounded my edges and later realised that this edge interfaces with the rudder fairings and I ended up filling the little gap with micro.

If I did it again I would leave it pointy but not sharp.

Back