-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:49 AM

If your known properly flared AN fittings want to leak. You need to get some Del-Seals and use them as a sealer for the flare. Obviously they won't seal a cracked fitting, But those are rare.
They will sometimes not seal if the surfaces aren't just right. Del-Seals are spendy soft aluminum, But, work real good for a slightly rough fitting.
Aircraft Spruce has the best price on the 1/4" and 3/8" aluminum tube I could find. I usually buy 50 feet at a time so I don't feel pinched for supplies.
Art
Old 02-15-2021, 09:06 PM

Default Beware new Facet pumps

Recently it was reported that Facet had manufactured a batch of pumps with incorrect port flare angles that would almost guarantee a leak. A builder friend had to buy and return three of them from ACS to get one with the correct flare angles. There is at least one thread on this subject on VAF.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrojockey View Post
The little square facet pumps should be pretty reliable...more than the mechanical one. They're solid state, and the only moving part is the piston...see video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtf66p8M11g
I agree they "should" be very reliable, but could fail. I went to a class a week ago and the instructor discussed the fact that these pumps could and have failed in the closed position (blocking fuel flow). Without some sort of bypass and if plumbed in series, that would obviously stop fuel flow and cause engine stoppage, even if you also have a mechanical pump plumbed in.

Has anyone plumbed in some sort of bypass that would allow bypassing the Facet pump, if failure was to occur during flight?

The pump for my RV12 is a $44 part. Considering that I use mogas with ethanol, I'm thinking it would be prudent to replace the pump every few years during Condition Inspection just to make sure I'm not slowly building up some sort of gunk/debris in the pump that could cause it to fail and block fuel flow. $44 for such a critical part is pretty cheap piece of mind insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	10449  
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Hawkins Field (35TT ) Godley, TEXAS!

LSRI-A for N49DD
EAA #1409566 / AOPA Member
Private Pilot since '79!
Retired LEO - Served 28 years
Honorably Discharged USNR - MA2
PADI Master Scuba Instructor / SDI OW Instructor
Scuba Equipment Technician (PT Retirement Job)

If you can walk away from a landing, its a good landing. If you can use the aircraft the next day, its an outstanding landing. Chuck Yeager

DONATED

Last edited by jrock836 : 04-16-2021 at 10:19 AM.