Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM

Default v 2.0 of Center Panel

I redid the center panel today. 4 hours, this time. The 8 hours spent yesterday on v 1.0 helped.

Still trying to decide if I need that A/P switch at the bottom of the center panel. Don't I have an on-off switch right above on the A/P controller?

Also, I think I want the flap switch right above the throttle, but symmetry keeps telling me to put it in the center.

I also moved the USB's to the left side below the ELT. I figure I will be loading flight plans from the home computer/iPad, so this is one of the first things I will do on sitting down. Haven't made up my mind on this, though.

What say you sage builders/fliers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel Center with Instruments Centered.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	10420  
Slo Fuse Completed 3-2-21
Wiring and Avionics Begun 3-3-21
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
Thunderbolt EXP119 expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Reserved: N52XL

Last edited by rockitdoc : 04-15-2021 at 02:45 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockitdoc View Post
I redid the center panel today. 4 hours, this time. The 8 hours spent yesterday on v 1.0 helped.

Still trying to decide if I need that A/P switch at the bottom of the center panel. Don't I have an on-off switch right above on the A/P controller?

Also, I think I want the flap switch right above the throttle, but symmetry keeps telling me to put it in the center.

I also moved the USB's to the left side below the ELT. I figure I will be loading flight plans from the home computer/iPad, so this is one of the first things I will do on sitting down. Haven't made up my mind on this, though.

What say you sage builders/fliers?
What A/P switch are you referring to? I have one that can turn the power to the motors off just in case but I never use it. Glad to know it's there though. The AP control can turn it off, the screen itself can turn it off, and if you put a disconnect on the grip it can turn it off. I suspect I'll never have to use the switch on the panel.

Definitely recommend your flap switch above the throttle, I did that on mine and I don't ever have to take my hand off the throttle when approaching.

Do you have a boost pump switch? That is the other heavily used one.

Good move on the USB. I put mine on the right side and it is annoying to have to stretch to put the USB in. I didn't realize how much I would use it. I use it every flight to pull data.
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-18-2021, 04:47 PM

Default 'Latest' Version of Panel

OK, chime in. Before I cut more 6061, what is missing? This is a class project remember?

I prolly will swap the USB ports and the ELT for symmetry.

Should I install a Hobbs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panel Mockup with Center v2.1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	10552  
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by rockitdoc : 04-18-2021 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:57 PM

Default Panel as of 4-19-21

I mounted all the stack instruments. Sixteen nut plates in close proximity to the cuts makes for slow going. But, all done, and the machine screws even lined up after all the riveting!

I installed the switches; flaps, fuel boost, A/P under the stack.

And, I switched the position of the ELT and USB. The USB on the panel will only be used to download flight plans and update software. I'll just put a USB in the 12v outlet between the seats for charging phones and other things not flight related.

Two more Honeywell SPST switches coming for the panel and cabin lights (Thanks Jason E for reminding me about those)

Started plugging in harnesses and trying to figure out where all the wires will go. This is going to take some time. There is a LOT of potential for tangled spaghetti behind the panel!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Panel Mockup 4-19-21.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	10589  
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-19-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I mounted all the stack instruments. Sixteen nut plates in close proximity to the cuts makes for slow going. But, all done, and the machine screws even lined up after all the riveting!

I installed the switches; flaps, fuel boost, A/P under the stack.

And, I switched the position of the ELT and USB. The USB on the panel will only be used to download flight plans and update software. I'll just put a USB in the 12v outlet between the seats for charging phones and other things not flight related.

Two more Honeywell SPST switches coming for the panel and cabin lights (Thanks Jason E for reminding me about those)

Started plugging in harnesses and trying to figure out where all the wires will go. This is going to take some time. There is a LOT of potential for tangled spaghetti behind the panel!
I hate to say it but....IMHO if you use the USB plug-in while flying, the cord will be draping across all the switches below and be very annoying.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring completed
Avionics harness build in progress
Donated for 2021 and so should you
Old 04-19-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
I hate to say it but....IMHO if you use the USB plug-in while flying, the cord will be draping across all the switches below and be very annoying.
This is a good point.

Just to clarify Scott. The moving of the USB for the EFIS to left side was a good move. I do not charge anything out of this port but routinely put a USB drive in it every flight for data pulls, uploads, and screenshots. In fact I even laser engraved the cover to say "EFIS DATA ONLY". However, I also have another USB port in my plane totally dedicated to charging devices on the right side. This could be a good addition to your panel as well. Hope this helps!
Old 04-20-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
I agree. That is why the USB on the panel will not be used for anything with a cord. It's just for a data stick to load data to EFIS or for wifi.

I will plug a USB port into the +12v socket between the seats for corded thingies.
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
This is a good point.

Just to clarify Scott. The moving of the USB for the EFIS to left side was a good move. I do not charge anything out of this port but routinely put a USB drive in it every flight for data pulls, uploads, and screenshots. In fact I even laser engraved the cover to say "EFIS DATA ONLY". However, I also have another USB port in my plane totally dedicated to charging devices on the right side. This could be a good addition to your panel as well. Hope this helps!
Agree. I like the label idea, too.

Will a USB adapter plugged into the +12v outlet between the seats work for charging iphones and such?
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid
Old 04-20-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Agree. I like the label idea, too.

Will a USB adapter plugged into the +12v outlet between the seats work for charging iphones and such?
I guess I am unfamiliar with how the 14 plans are on this area but I just have a separate usb plug on the panel that just gets a 12v pwr and ground wire so it sounds like the same.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I guess I am unfamiliar with how the 14 plans are on this area but I just have a separate usb plug on the panel that just gets a 12v pwr and ground wire so it sounds like the same.
I just realized the -14 comes with both a +12v power outlet and a dual USB outlet (marked 4.8mA from Blue Sea) intended for a spot between the seats along with an audio output plug! I should have done a better job inventorying my FWF stuff. Not sure why something in the cabin comes with the FWF kit. Oh, well. Nice. Problem solved, and no need for a USB adapter plugged into the +12v port.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	POwer and USB Plugs.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	10651  
QB Wings delayed until ?
Finish Kit expected 7-21
2021 Dues Paid