Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2021, 08:46 PM

Default Taping Cowling / Canopy to Stop Rain Leaks?

I read about someone who used tape to divert rain water from getting into a tilt-up canopy. Searched but could not find the thread.

Anybody use wide tape across the top of the cowling to divert the rain?

Bought some of the 4" wide 3M clear tape for flap protection. Thinking of using it across the top of my cowling / canopy.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
UTC -09:00 Alaska
Old 04-10-2021, 04:27 PM

Arrow Rain

I recently made a trip to Kentucky from South Carolina. I parked for three days and my RV-7 tip up endured heavy rain off and on for a good 24 hours during the time it was parked outside on the ramp.

I intended to use tape to seal the front gap (small but still there) and the rear canopy overlap from water intrusion. I wanted the tape to be removable without leaving residue, so I considered the utility of painter's tape of some kind.

I was visiting family, but decided to check on the plane each day to verify my tie downs, control locks and canopy leaks. I elected not to use a canopy cover since there would be a lot of wind over the course of three days. I've seen cases where a canopy cover has scratched aircraft that were parked outside during storms. A canopy cover can prevent water from getting into the fuselage for a passing afternoon storm without worrying too much.

Because I use wax on my plane the tape didn't stick well on the canopy area. I use Plexus on the clear canopy which prevented the tape from sticking well to the rear canopy. I'm not sure a more robust tape would stick any better.

In the end I got a few drops of water in the fuselage and baggage area, but it dried out quickly when I opened up the canopy and gave it some warm air and sun.

I've seen the avionics cover that goes down under the canopy and I might get one of those eventually if my attempts to seal the front of the canopy are unsucessful. It takes any water that might get in and sheds it off to the sides to prevent contact with anything back there.

Flightline Interiors has such a cover for sale:
https://www.flightlineinteriors.com/accessories

Instrument cooling concerns while under a fabric cover have cropped up on the forums here. I suppose there's benefits and drawbacks for every accessory. I mostly fly on sunny days and park in a hangar. Maybe tape is the best solution for occational rain storms while tied down outside.

I have some weather stipping from McMaster Carr that I intend to try. It has a 3M sticky side. There are so many types of weather stripping available so I may have to try a few different shapes and thicknesses to get it just right so the canopy still closes easily while being sealed. This is the harder part...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avionics cover.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	10214  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2817.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	10215  

Launching from SC45
Old 04-11-2021, 07:30 AM

Default Tape

I tape my 6 when it is going to sit out with the possibility of rain. My first trip away from home brought a surprise when I had no engine monitor after heavy rains went through. Luckily a night in a hangar to dry it out fixed that problem. I put electrical tape across the seam at the front and at the rear or my tip up. I then put on my canopy cover then tape the front edge of that. So far I have had no problems and Ive sat in some pretty hard rains at Oshkosh.
I also tape over my NACA vents on the side as it felt like someone turned on the garden hose when I pushed the throttle in for take off. Quite a surprise!

Most of the time there is very little residue left on the plane but this might be different depending how long the tape is on. The down side is you want to ensure you everything out of the plane before you close it up.
Dues Paid
Old 04-11-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Anybody use wide tape across the top of the cowling to divert the rain
I presume you asking about keeping the rain out when flying.

I have 2” cloth duct tape permanently installed across the top of the middle part of the fwd. canopy/fuselage join extending to just a bit outboard of the hinges on each side. Seems to hold up well after many canopy openings and in the rain (flying). Easy to replace if necessary.

Fin. 9A

Last edited by Finley Atherton : 04-11-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley Atherton View Post
I presume you asking about keeping the rain out when flying.

I have 2 cloth duct tape permanently installed across the top of the middle part of the fwd. canopy/fuselage join extending to just a bit outboard of the hinges on each side. Seems to hold up well after many canopy openings and in the rain (flying). Easy to replace if necessary.

Fin. 9A
Tip-up or slider?

Have any photos? That would help....

Thank you.

Mike
UTC -09:00 Alaska
Old 04-12-2021, 07:53 AM

I have put a piece of "P" shaped weatherstripping just in front of the canopy, added a strip of black electrical tape to help hold it in place. Creates just enough of a bump to make any rain go over the canopy gap. Has stayed in place for a couple years now. If you canopy fits better than mine, it might not make any difference....
Old 04-15-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Tip-up or slider?

Have any photos? That would help....

Thank you.

Mike
9A tip-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2C500167-01B7-4E77-B79C-CA95B891EE72.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	10441  Click image for larger version

Name:	4827F162-EE81-4CBA-8D4C-2403A863CCA9.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	10442  
Old 04-15-2021, 11:20 PM

Talking P shaped weather stripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Arehart View Post
I have put a piece of "P" shaped weatherstripping just in front of the canopy, added a strip of black electrical tape to help hold it in place. Creates just enough of a bump to make any rain go over the canopy gap. Has stayed in place for a couple years now. If you canopy fits better than mine, it might not make any difference....
Do you happen to have dimensions of this "P shaped" weather stripping?

I need to try something more sticky and less of a rubber bump. Riding the edge of sealing just barely for ease of canopy closure.

Thanks...now to shop on the McMaster Carr website...

Launching from SC45
Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinTiger View Post
I need to try something more sticky and less of a rubber bump. Riding the edge of sealing just barely for ease of canopy closure.
I used this. Cleaned off the adhesive and glued it down with contact cement for a more secure bond. You can see it in Post #7. It sits up very proud but I apply Herschell Silicone Paste grease (clear) to the seal and the underside of the fwd. canopy skin every couple of months and the canopy skin slides easily over the seal.

Fin. 9A
Old 04-16-2021, 12:53 AM

Cool Trying some seals

I'm going to try some new seals from McMaster Carr. There's so many different shapes and kinds, I think the one that clamps on and folds over will do well in the front of the tip up.

Other bulb seals I've tried that are small in the front of the canopy I've tried in the past get pealed up when the canopy closed, due to the sliding action forward.

This clamped on, flap like rubber shape might be the answer...I'm going to try it.

Second, for the back of the canopy, I found a single sided adhesive thin foam rubber sealant. I'm hoping it will be thin enough not to put much pressure on the plexiglass canopy as I close it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	edge stabilized wiper wx strip.png
Views:	6
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	10445  

Launching from SC45