- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:42 AM

Default Alternative Engine

Is anyone currently flying Aeromomentum? Looking for feedback.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:05 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF

David, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 04-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Default thanks

friend in California completed RV-12 last year I have the bug after 25year hiatus. Flew 182 for 8 years but looking to build RV_9 or 12.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:42 PM

I've heard that there are several RV-12's in Australia flying an Aeromomentum engine.

I *do* appreciate the engineering-first approach to the engine's design. The typical "let's slap an aftermarket ECU on an automotive engine" approach is pretty common, but AM seem to take a from-the-case-up strategy that actually selects components based on design and operational requirements.

I'd love to see someone build an RV-10 with an AM20T in it. Cutting 150lbs of weight, or even 100, is gonna do good things for performance, even if you have to spend extra effort on fixing the CG.

The crowd here at VAF tend to be pretty conservative, so I don't know how much of a response you'll get. The Alternative Engine forum isn't super active

Last edited by zolotiyeruki : 04-15-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:46 PM

Mark at AM has had delivery trouble with his gear suppliers lately and is behind on filling orders. That may not be important if you haven't started your build yet though.

AM has the best offerings on alternative engines on the market at this time IMO. Mark has a rich background in aerospace and engineering and is very thorough. His pricing seems very good in my view too for what you get.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 445.9 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 04-15-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Mark has a rich background in aerospace and engineering and is very thorough.
I too will raise a hand for Mark.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolotiyeruki View Post
The crowd here at VAF tend to be pretty conservative, so I don't know how much of a response you'll get. The Alternative Engine forum isn't super active
No, the crowd here on VAF are not conservative. Its just that they have been watching the alternative engine enthusiasts disappear down rabbit holes for decades...and descend into darkness. As a general rule they observe that with only one or two notable exceptions the enthusiasm with which new builders embrace alternative engines is inversely proportional to their understanding of things mechanical.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Avgas View Post
No, the crowd here on VAF are not conservative. Its just that they have been watching the alternative engine enthusiasts disappear down rabbit holes for decades...and descend into darkness. As a general rule they observe that with only one or two notable exceptions the enthusiasm with which new builders embrace alternative engines is inversely proportional to their understanding of things mechanical.
Maybe we're talking past each other, but "sticking to what's known to work" sounds pretty conservative to me.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolotiyeruki View Post
Maybe we're talking past each other, but "sticking to what's known to work" sounds pretty conservative to me.
It might sound conservative to you but it just sounds sensible to me. When you have an aircraft with only one engine that power plant is like a heart pacemaker....its your life support system. If it quits you can die. So you want to be installing something that has a really proven track record. I think most builders understand that.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
AM has the best offerings on alternative engines on the market at this time IMO. Mark has a rich background in aerospace and engineering and is very thorough. His pricing seems very good in my view too for what you get.
Agree! I have known Mark for almost 13yrs and he is a superb engineer with a great product. I actually met with him and his wife today at Sun-N-Fun just to chat about "old times".

2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 04-16-2021 at 06:45 PM.