What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power PPS Mounting

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
VP recommends putting PPS (Primary Power System) on engine side firewall for various good reasons. I am planning this, but without an engine, yet, would like to see where some of you that installed the PPS on a 14A firewall put it.

PPS

If your battery is on the firewall, make sure nothing blocks it from sliding out of the box.
Drilling the firewall is a pain. Take advantage of predrilled rivet holes where ever possible.

If your battery is on the firewall, make sure nothing blocks it from sliding out of the box.
Drilling the firewall is a pain. Take advantage of predrilled rivet holes where ever possible.

Here's what I did after calling VP. They said the PPS was designed to fit where the OEM contactors, etc are attached. So, I fabbed an assembly. It mounts to the four nut plates on the firewall intended for the contactors. No drilling required. I just hope it doesn't interfere with anything coming next.

Attachments

• Firewall with battery and PPS.jpg
    Firewall with battery and PPS.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:
Oil cooler

Here's what I did after calling VP. They said the PPS was designed to fit where the OEM contactors, etc are attached. So, I fabbed an assembly. It mounts to the four nut plates on the firewall intended for the contactors. No drilling required. I just hope it doesn't interfere with anything coming next.

Where does the oil cooler get mounted?

Do you have the engine mount? It looks to me that the engine mount interferes with this position. I have a RV14 and had to move it slightly up for this reason.

(No idea why the picture is upside down. I hope you can rotate your screen :)

Attachments

• IMG_5910.jpg
    IMG_5910.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Send me your email

I've got a 7 but with a 390 and firewall mounted oil cooler. My PPS is mounted right under by battery box for the Earth X. Right side of Firewall. Not much extra space.

I highly suggest you wait till you get your engine mount and engine. Otherwise risking doing things over with extra holes in the FW.

Send my your email and I'll send you some pictures. I don't have the ability to post pictures here.

Maybe wait 'till engine is mounted

Based on my experience, you should consider waiting until the engine and most of the stuff is attached to the engine and/or has a spot identified on the firewall before you mount the PPS.

I ended up changing out the solenoids that had been installed and mounting the PPS on the lower port side of the firewall, that was the only space available that the PPS would fit after everything else was in-place.

Hi rockitdoc, I am also building 14A and was wondering if we have recent pictures of your build. I am particularly interested in seeing if the PPS was in the way of any other firewall forward components, as I am planing to install it on the same location as you did.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Hi rockitdoc, I am also building 14A and was wondering if we have recent pictures of your build. I am particularly interested in seeing if the PPS was in the way of any other firewall forward components, as I am planing to install it on the same location as you did.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

I do have pictures. I keep track of day to day, week to week progress on my thread here:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=203644

But, I decided about a month ago to sell my PPS and VP-X and go old school with fuses and contactors. I struggled with the decision. The PPS and VP-X are very good systems and everyone I know who uses them loves them. But, I like to assemble as many parts of the build as possible. It helps me better understand how it all works. And, electrical stuff is not my forte.

Anyway, the PPS is a bit of a challenge to fit on the firewall. Take a look at how I did it. It worked and was out of the way. I also fabricated a mounting system so the OEM nutplates for the contactors could be used instead of drilling more holes.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

BTW, the way the PPS was shown by me in this thread will not work. It has to be mounted at an angle. Look at my build thread, it shows how it was finally done. And, I would not wait until everything is on the firewall. Do this mount before the engine is on there. But, after the engine mount is on. Way easier.

Did you CNC that mount? I'm doing a 14, as well, and suspect that would work for me but I'm not a machinist by any stretch. What does the mount weigh?
I did use a milling machine to make it, but if you don't have access to one, there are plenty of places, including online sites, that would make it for you. Simple design. I didn't weigh it, but it is fairly light. Made from 2024-T3. I have a cad drawing in PDF I could share with you if you'd like. Be tomorrow before I can get it sent off.

This is how I mounted a PPS in my RV14. I positioned it far enough left to miss the oil breather tube. See …

Seems to be a robust method, no problems yet after 30 hrs.

Steve, I refer to your website A LOT! You did an amazing job on your -14, and thank you for taking the time to document everything. Very helpful!

This is how I mounted my PPS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qDmDwASyVgEFPjFz6

I wanted to use the existing location and hardware that was installed for the mechanical contactors, and I didn't want the bracket rattling against the firewall from vibration. I also sized the countersinks so that I could get a socket on the bolt heads to torque properly. When they are torqued, they are below the surface to which the PPS is attached.

I know the PPS is designed to be mounted on the hot side of the firewall, but I’m planning on going against conventional wisdom and mounting mine on the cold side. The plan is to mount firewall battery cable bulkhead pass-throughs and connect short battery cables from the battery to them. Then, with battery power inside, I’ll run a short battery cable from the pass-through lug over to the PPS. Then, from the PPS starter lug over to another battery cable bulkhead pass-through and on to the starter. My two reasons for wanting to do it this way are to one, keep the PPS as cool as possible and two, to keep the firewall as clean and clutter free as I can. I know it’s better to keep wires solid and not break them up, but I think if care is taken to do the job correctly and quality parts are used, I think it’ll work perfectly.

Back