What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do about poor Airport Mgmnt

rvanstory

Well Known Member
I am terribly frustrated with our local airport management and was hoping someone out there has advice on what (if anything) I can do about it. First the backstory.....

When I started my build in Feb. 2017, I called the local airport to get on the T-hangar waitlist. From experience, I knew it would take a long time to get a T-hangar for the RV-10 I was building. When getting ready to attach the wings, I was told I was not yet eligible for a T-hangar. I was able to use a friends T-hangar to finish the build. During that time I met 2 pilots that had T-hangars at the airport that had waited MUCH less time than me to get one. One was on waitlist 6 months, the other 2 years (compared to my 3.5 years at the time).

Needless to say, I was FURIOUS! How did I get passed up when I so badly needed a hangar? How did these pilots get put in front of me for hangar space? When I confronted the airport manager his explanation was that the "list" was destroyed by an ex disgruntled employee. So, they really had no ideal who was on the list, or when. I found this to be a very suspicious excuse since I was never told I wasn't on the list, simply that it wasn't my turn yet. If the list got lost, why wouldn't this news of a destroyed list be shared with me during any of our previous communications???

However, the manager agreed that I was now, finally, "next on the list" and I would get the "next available hangar". Then, last week, I met another new pilot at the airport who just got his T-hanger after 3 years on the list (compared to my 4 years now). When I confronted the airport manager again, his excuse was some lie about this particular hangar space being wider than than the others and it was needed for the tenants wider wing-span. (I later measured the hangar, it was the same standard dimensions as all the other T-hangars, no wider at all.)

So, here's my question. Do I have any recourse or leverage? Other than more city staff, is there anyone that can help me? Does FAA have an avenue to hold airport management staff accountable for preferential treatment?

I'm caught between a rock and a hard spot. Raise h - - - with his boss (city manager), FAA, city council, etc... and possibly NEVER get a hangar. Or is there a way to hold airport staff accountable for their practice of giving hangars space to who they see fit?

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated!

Public Property

My First thoughts are: If its Public Property then the "waiting list" should be public too. My second thought is all Municipal Airports should have a written Public Policy on handling of waiting lists kind of like "Sunlight Laws". This may not help you now but it just my 2 cents. My favorite way of handling these waiting lists is to make the hangars available first to Pilots on a Tie Down. and if no takers then to the General Public. In my area people drive over an hour past several airports to get to one with enclosed Hangars but this precludes the local Pilots from having access to hangar while their own planes wilt in the Tie Down. Third thought: They should require a substantial deposit to be on waiting list, then have more financial accountability for that money. .. Again, Just my 2 cents, Ed

Randy

Sorry to hear about your problem. Almost sounds like one of those 'good ol' boy' things is going on. AirNav says that KBAZ is publicly-owned and the airport manager is Robert Lee. As a tax-paying citizen, you might ask to see the current list since the old one was 'destroyed'. I'd almost guess that a written list doesn't exist. A visit to the city manager's office might be in store; and be able to supply dates of who said what.
Situations like this are tricky when dealing with the city. But it does sound like you got screwed around.

Job 1 - Secure a hangar somewhere else, Maybe Huber is an option?

Then I would make my displeasure known with a letter to the City Manager, City Attorney, Copy the FAA, Copy TxDOT.

I would try and make all communication via email so you have a written record. You need to start with your representative on the city council. This might also make a interesting article for the local newspaper. A good old boy network might be in effect but I suspect money under the table might be driving who gets hangars.

Is it a municipal airport? You could talk to the city about it and possibly see about bringing it up at a meeting.

Airports are a funny business these days. I grew up living at the airports. My dad was an A&P I/A and ran flight schools, maintenance shops, FBOs - we just basically lived at one airport or another. All small municipals. There was never discussion of traffic or funding.

Now that I am back flying, 25 years later, I sat in our local airport board meeting last month. The board is concerned, not with revenue from hangars or maintenance operations, but with FUEL sold, (unexpected to me) NUMBER of TO/LANDINGS and IFR operations. They are incentivized to have busy planes that use the tower and buy fuel. That is ALL that matters to them.

Listening to some of the tales of woe on here, I would guess that airport managers probably pick the ones who they feel will accomplish those 3 tasks. Try convincing them the you will be flying IFR, using their tower, and buying lots of fuel. Don’t know if it would make a difference but I know I was surprised to hear those discussions by the board.

I'd suggest, as others have done above, making sure your communications are documented, preferably as e-mails. Follow up all calls/conversations with an e-mail. Call them frequently--once or twice a month. It's possible they don't really have a list and just listen to the squeaky wheels.

Start attending the board meetings--you don't have to say anything at first, just make sure the airport manager sees you there a few meetings in a row. Maybe try to get to know someone on the board, or strike up a conversation with board members before or after the meeting.

See if that speeds anything up. Keep taking good notes. If you get no satisfaction, and you can document other people getting hangars before you, then bring it up at the meeting. Some Boards require the public to inform them of questions for the agenda prior to the meetings--you may not have an opportunity to just stand up and ask a question, so make sure you follow their protocol.

I'm always surprised at how people don't know how stuff works in this country. The way you go about ensuring your interests at a public airport is to make a modest political donation to the elected official the airport manager works for, regardless of party. This usually means donating to both candidates in an election. I have friends at airports who do this every election cycle, so when it comes time to pull a string, there's a string available to get pulled.

FOIA

If the airport is publicly owned by the city or county, then the hangar waiting list should be a public document. Through the Freedom of Information Act, or a state equivalent law, you could probably fill out a form with the city/county clerk's office to request a copy of the document. The may charge a nominal fee for copying the document.

what he said

"The board is concerned, not with revenue from hangars or maintenance operations, but with FUEL sold, (unexpected to me) NUMBER of TO/LANDINGS and IFR operations. They are incentivized to have busy planes that use the tower and buy fuel. That is ALL that matters to them.

Listening to some of the tales of woe on here, I would guess that airport managers probably pick the ones who they feel will accomplish those 3 tasks. "

Those 3 items determine grant funding for non-private airports. Under most of the grant programs the government provides 90% of the cost of the improvements, so it is imperative for the airports to increase operations to be able to secure additional funding for future improvements. At our airport hangars are rented to those who will provide these 3 things the most or are local politicians whom can assist in securing airport funding. Our leases are year to year and if someone comes along that is more attractive to the airport based on these three items, then your lease is not renewed and the new person gets your hangar. We do have a waiting list but the city uses its discretion in selection of tenants based on the potential utilization. If you are a builder and there are no flyers or commercial operators waiting for a hangar then they will rent one to you.

Its not fair, but the FAA has backed them up on this in the past. The government provides grant money for airport improvements and wants to be sure that the money causes increased utilization as long as the airport does nothing to violate the grant assurances.

Randy
I'd almost guess that a written list doesn't exist.

Yeah, I'd say there never was, and isn't now, any sort of "list". "The list" seems to be the airport manager's equivalent to the old complaint department trick "I'll be sure to let the supervisor know" lie.

Just keep telling people their name is "on the list", and rent to whomever you want.

Here is my perspective as an airport "Manager": I have a private runway on my property. I have 3 hangers and rent out hanger and tie-down space. I usually have 5 to 6 tenants. I have very low turn-over, but lots of inquiries for hanger space. I used to keep a waiting list, but I found that after 3,4 or 5 years I am wasting my time to call all of the people on the list. Either they found something, or sold their plane, or they have moved. The worst is: "Let me get back to you" with no timely response.
95% of the time the guy leaving has already told a friend "hay, you can have this space when I sell my plane." I have found that to be my preferred method of filling the empty space. The transition is seamless and requires no effort on my part. It is so much better than the space sitting empty for two months waiting for the "Let me get back to you's" that never get back to me. My bet is that this is what your manager is doing too.
I think your best option is to be friendly with the manager and be a regular presence letting him know that you are ready to go. I know that is not how it should be at a public airport, but you are dealing with humans. The last thing I would do is complain to the township. Unless they are going to fire him over it, you are likely to have an enemy that will find ways to retaliate. It is better to have him as a friend.

Gonna be tough to get relevant advice on this...city and county governments are HIGHLY variable in their politics and their political hierarchies. Our local airport is owned by both city and county and is run by a separate airport commission. They tend to be interested in the broad strokes, but things like hangar rentals are pretty much the sole province of the airport manager. Going over his head to the Commission would not be likely to improve one’s chances of getting a hangar. The OP should be very sure of his political ground before taking this farther up the chain. Old Boy Politics is common.

A few things you can try:

1. Spend some time developing a relationship with the manager. Listen a lot. Talk about his problems. See if there is a way to help. Be someone that the manager wants around. This isn't sucking up, it's being a part of the airport community. It's during these conversations you'll find out so-and-so is retiring and selling his plane and that's a great time to discuss taking over his hanger.
2. Call every month and remind the manager (nicely) you are looking for a hanger. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Ask if so-and-so sold his plane yet.
3. Let EVERYONE on the airport know you NEED a hangar. (Again, nicely.) Sometimes the decision maker isn't the manager, or the manager just needs a push. I was on the list for my current hanger for months until I happened to talk to Bob one day. "Oh, Barb is a good manager but she just sits on these hangers for some reason. Let me make a call." 2 weeks later I had a hanger.

Some airports handle hangar waiting lists like a business, some handle them like a good 'ol boy's network. Figure out which yours is, and either play the game or work to change the way things are handled.

I strongly recommend you follow up on the recommendation that Ken suggested and join the airport board if you can. Airport managers ALWAYS pay attention to who their board members are and try to ensure they are taken care of. As the old saying goes, “if you can’t beat them, join them.”

Airport commission

I was on an airport commission for two airports and yes we were concerned about fuel sales and operations. As some one mentioned when the incredibly small amount of money the FAA divides for small airport improvements is allocated, your ability to pay your 10% and the number of operations can drive your position on the FAAs list. Money generally flows to busy airports, not quiet airports.

Airport Managers are like everyone else, doing a job, some are great and some aren’t. How you deal with your airport manager is up to you. Become part of the airport community, volunteer if the airport uses them and let the manager know You want to be there. I’m not suggesting you kiss his backside, but he has his own issues to deal with.

You can complain to the Airport Division and the FAA might investigate, but probably not. Hangar waitlist is not a grant assurances issue.

Good luck, I hope you get a hangar soon.

Advise

You got some good advise already. I'm particularly fond of making friends of everyone.
After 30 years in government, it's the easiest way to get things done. Make sure everone owes you more favors than you owe them. Trust me, they keep track. It's amazing what you can do in government when the people at the top owe you favors.

If none of that works, the one thing every governmental official hates is an Open Records request. Submit an official request for the waiting list and associated hangar issue going back however many nunber of years you've been waiting. If it exists, you'll have an explanation. If not, and I suspect none exists, someone will be looking for a job. Lack of documentation is usually a big deal. Good old boy operations are even worse. Sometimes it means money is changing hands under the table and the media loves that stuff. Once again, someone at the top will get really nervous.

Update on Airport Management

Thought I'd circle back and share some progress and outcomes related to my frustrations.

I appreciate all the advice about "making friends" with airport manager and the advice in the spirit of "you get more with honey than with vinegar" and to play the game. However, I'm not a good "game player" and certainly don't engage in games with people I no longer trust. Plus, I felt playing games would simply make me a part of the problem, and I'd much rather be a part of the solution. So, I decided to go to airport managers superiors, and offer not just a complaint, but some possible solutions.

What I didn't mention in my 1st post is that I have a 30 year history in my community serving on city boards, commissions and even as a city council member. So, it's not like I don't have friends in the system. I contacted my city council member (of which I used to hold his office) and the mayor (whom I've known for 30 yrs) and requested help. They arranged a meeting with City Manager, Assistant City Manager, the Economic Development Director (direct supervisor of airport manager), the airport manager and me. In that meeting I shared the frustration of a poorly managed list that had no transparency. I also offered examples of how public assets should be managed more professionally by sharing waitlist policies from 5 other municipal airports.

Friday I was asked to participate in a zoom meeting with 5 other hangar tenants to discuss a proposed "Hangar Waitlist Policy" that clearly spells out how to get on the list, how to progress up the list, and how to be removed from the list. The draft was excellent and I was very excited to see that there will soon be written policies as well as a publicly accessible list! No longer will people have to ask "The Wizard" to see behind the curtain! Anyone on the list can see where they are at any given time.

Though I still don't have a hangar, I now have a written commitment (not verbal) that I'm #2 on the list, and the list will be seen by all. All in all, I'd say it was a win for me, the city and anyone else needing a t-hangar in the future!

Great job, Randy! Thanks for your continued service to your community. Fair and open is what we expect from our public servants and thanks to your efforts, we’ll have a little more of that at our airport. Now, if you can just get a hanger near me or Mac, we’ll have an all RV-10 row.

Back