What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

erratic EGT indication

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All, was not sure if that topic belongs to the glass cockpit section or traditional engines or whatever... but anyway.

i wired my skyview EMS to the lycomings exhaust pipes and it worked well so far. After just 20 hours EGT #1 showed erratic readings. Jumped between 1000 - 1200 F like crazy for the entire flight. anyone had these kind of problem? could it be the connection between the EMS and the skyview? or just a bad crimp or wire or the probe itself?

just today i wanted to test leaning operiations seriously and suddenly it started to jump around... bad timing. :D

Cheers
Kay

... Jumped between 1000 - 1200 F like crazy for the entire flight. anyone had these kind of problem? could it be the connection between the EMS and the skyview? or just a bad crimp or wire or the probe itself? ...
If it changed quickly, it's probably either one of the connections, or the probe. It's very hard to make temperature changes that will cause the EGT change very quickly. Viel Glück, Kay!

Hi All, was not sure if that topic belongs to the glass cockpit section or traditional engines or whatever... but anyway.

i wired my skyview EMS to the lycomings exhaust pipes and it worked well so far. After just 20 hours EGT #1 showed erratic readings. Jumped between 1000 - 1200 F like crazy for the entire flight. anyone had these kind of problem? could it be the connection between the EMS and the skyview? or just a bad crimp or wire or the probe itself?

just today i wanted to test leaning operiations seriously and suddenly it started to jump around... bad timing. :D

Cheers
Kay

Most likely issue is a poor connection somewhere. If the EGT cable parallels within close proximity (like tie wrapped to it) to a sparkplug wire for too long, that can also cause the exact symptoms you are seeing. This tend to be intermittent.

Larry

Cut off the probe spade connector and replace with a new one. Add a piece of #20 wire with the probe wire before you crimp the connector - this will help with the connection. Cut off the excess #20 wire after crimping.

Carl

Or ditch the spade connectors and get Omega thermocouple connectors. I'd been fighting connector problems every 100 hours or so since completing the plane, and finally said to **** with it and got the Omegas...no issues since (knock on wood).

Pairs or Individuals?

Do the Omegas come in pairs or do you have to purchase them individually? (Male / Female)
Also, did you use the miniature version or standard?

How old is the EMS unit from Dynon? The early versions didn't have good electronic shielding and when you hit the Push to Talk, the EGTs would instantly spike up. I sent mine back and had it modified and it has been stable ever since. A failing probe usually just oscillates from normal temp down to 0 reading.

Do the Omegas come in pairs or do you have to purchase them individually? (Male / Female)
Also, did you use the miniature version or standard?

Purchases indivually, and I used the miniature versions. Getting the wires inserted properly and captured (and checked with a loupe) took a bit of care, but they've worked great and (hopefully) no more messing with recrimping and fiddling with spade connectors.

On Order

They should be arriving just in time for the annual. Perfect timing on the OP's part.
:)

Back