What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (10/17/2020 - 10/18/2020)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
After 18 years, I broke my strobe switch <grin>.

Today:

IMG_1916_heic-XL.jpg

Felt good to fly, though. It had been 12 days....

v/r,dr

Unfortunately, I'll do nothing in my RV this weekend or for several weekends to come. I had surgery to fuse my heavily damaged left ankle on Thursday. Probably won't be back in the saddle until March. :(

Only my third try at formation flight, and definitely the first time doing THIS - but I think I may be hooked on formation. I have ordered a standard friction-lock throttle cable to replace my vernier, and made the decision to put smoke in my plane.

This is the high school football game at our small town, myself (lead) and Mike Hilger (wingman, MikeyDale on here) last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txiNDeF8I_c&fbclid=IwAR2646XmKhLawkZwk9c0ufM1SPYBQHChNu7AyMvh9OUCyILRPOlWd4_K4RQ

Cut us a little slack - we're new to this stuff and learning fast.

Only my third try at formation flight, and definitely the first time doing THIS - but I think I may be hooked on formation. I have ordered a standard friction-lock throttle cable to replace my vernier, and made the decision to put smoke in my plane.

This is the high school football game at our small town, myself (lead) and Mike Hilger (wingman, MikeyDale on here) last night.

Very good idea on friction throttle. Also study up on FFI.aero if you have not already. Makes it safe and possible to fly with others if we all follow the same procedures.

I am fairly new myself to formation.

Flew from L18 to SDM to get fuel. Then SDM to SEE to pick up a prospective RV buyer and/or builder. Then SEE to RNM with the soon to be RV'ator to visit Bruceh and his RV-9A. This allowed Charlie to see two RV-9A's up close, and also to see the AFS avionics in my airplane, and the Dynon avionics in Bruce's airplane. Then, RNM to SEE to bring Charlie back, and finally flew back home to L18.

Each time I fly the RV, I am impressed by its capability. Yesterday I took off from about sea level, and reached 6,500' just five minutes after takeoff, and then accelerated to 152 KTAS while powered back to around 70% power.

The RV never fails to impress.

I let 24 High School students from my wife's Aerospace Engineering class (11th graders) crawl around and sit in my RV-9A. I'm always amazed at how curious they are about airplanes and airports. Our little airport is just down a few miles from the High School, and most of the students, who have lived in town all of their lives have never set foot on the airport. I'm sure there are a few future pilots in making from this experience.

Pre-weekend, I finished wiring up a new Dynon Touch screen in my panel. Still working on getting the settings all finalized and then the calibrations will begin (compass/AOA).

IMG_9029_heic-M.jpg

Among other things, finished up the small wiring harness for my switch console. Rather satisfying to turn this rat's nest:

img_1627-1024x767.jpg

...into this nice looking bit o kit:

img_1649-1024x768.jpg

The idea is for the entire console to be removable from the plane as a unit if I ever need to service anything there. Remove the screws, pull it out (using a service loop in the mating harness, which will hide in the gear tower), unplug, and go sit at the workbench.

Everything tucks away nicely under the console:

img_1651-1024x768.jpg

Relative Ease.

My wife and I took advantage of blue skies to zip 1 hour south to see her parents. They brought the picnic, and we visited and ate lunch in rocking chairs on the "back porch" of the terminal at KARW. Perfect use of our 'time machine!' ;)

Went up North

My GIB/Bride and I flew to see her parents on Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine for a morning church service on Sunday. Colors were still quite nice in the south and Mt. Washington was coated with some fresh snow against some of those colors. It took a 6+ hour drive each way into a nice enjoyable, stress-free 1ish hour flight each way. These RV's are amazing time machines.

Laconia(LCI) fogged in over Lake Winnipesaukee
IMG-2838.jpg

Colors looking North near Conway NH.
IMG-2844.jpg

Mt Washington
IMG-2854.jpg

Mt Washington - closer
IMG-2862.jpg

Heavy Handed?

After 18 years, I broke my strobe switch <grin>.

Today:

IMG_1916_heic-XL.jpg

Felt good to fly, though. It had been 12 days....

v/r,dr

Doug,
Are you a heavy handed guy?
Just kidding.
17 years of service it does not owe you any more.

Daddyman

My GIB/Bride and I flew to see her parents on Moosehead Lake in Northern Maine for a morning church service on Sunday. Colors were still quite nice in the south and Mt. Washington was coated with some fresh snow against some of those colors. It took a 6+ hour drive each way into a nice enjoyable, stress-free 1ish hour flight each way. These RV's are amazing time machines.

Laconia(LCI) fogged in over Lake Winnipesaukee
IMG-2838.jpg

Colors looking North near Conway NH.
IMG-2844.jpg

Mt Washington
IMG-2854.jpg

Mt Washington - closer
IMG-2862.jpg

Amazing pictures thanks Brian! I am missing those woods...

Rudderless plane

This weekend my RV-6A lost it's tail for an upgrade. Stiffening the horizontal stabilizer.

Attachments

• 62432506204__3327219C-21BB-4249-955A-7E2FD97B7B8B.JPG
    62432506204__3327219C-21BB-4249-955A-7E2FD97B7B8B.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 310
Boniest fingers around.... ;^)

I need to go to a smaller sized breaker/switch anyway because the semi-newly installed AeroLED strobes pull less than the traditional strobes they replaced.

The cracks in the switch labels weren't noticed until I looked at the full size image on my monitor <grin>. I like the patina

Doug,
Are you a heavy handed guy?
Just kidding.
17 years of service it does not owe you any more.

Daddyman

Last edited:
Our RV flew for the first time this weekend :D

https://youtu.be/GxmjAy2emno

Big thanks to Mike Henning (RV-4, KASH) for shooting the videos!

Dave

Dave I am so glad to see her flying! You created a masterpiece I will be there for an award party at Plymouth 1P1. How long it took? A decade+? It’s been fun watching your progress online and in the hangar. Say hi to Mike (and another Mike) good job filming...

This is what I did.

Vlad, I bet you thought this day may never come!!

Attachments

• DAR Inspection Passed.jpg
    DAR Inspection Passed.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 173
  • panel 10-20-2020.jpg
    panel 10-20-2020.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 164
  • exterior 10-20-2020.jpg
    exterior 10-20-2020.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
This is what I did.

Vlad, I bet you thought this day may never come!!

Rocky you dang right. I was wondering recently why you went silent for so long. Thought job is occupying you as always... you did it man I am proud I know you. Now take it easy. Relax, rethink get your ducks in the row. Report back. You have always a place at my airport you treated me so good through the years I would love to return the favors...

Back