What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best thing since pre punched skins

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
I finally broke down and built a rotisserie for my fuselage. Made a big difference on installing parts on the inside of the fuse. Also made painting the inside a lot easier. I recommend it for anyone.
I'm not the best welder but it turned out OK. I fabricated mine from some scrap metal, water pipe, and some old exercise equipment. Also made some arms I can use when I paint the wings. Used a universal "joint" on each end so it does not put a strain on the plane when the end poles are at different heights. Did not have to drill any addition holes to mount it to plane.Those bolts shown on the tail only go into the 2 by 4. The 2 by 4 is bolted to the F 712 bulkhead with one AN3 bolt and two AN4 bolts. Going to change up the forward end so I can attach it to motor mount after I install it.
Enclosing some pic links so you can get idea how I fabricated it.

4_zpsf4ceddb8.png

6_zpsf9d8be00.png

1_zps5a2016e1.png

3_zpsfe9a25b2.png

2_zpsd5033d9e.png

5_zps3d0e24a9-1-1-1-1.png

Last edited:
Safety

When you adjust the height, do you have more than just the one "set screw" bolt holding the vertical pipe? It's hard to see if you have a pin or some redundant method to keep the support from sliding should the bolt lose its grip.

fabricflyer,

How high are pivots off the floor? I'm thinking about adapting my (borrowed) wing stands for the fuselage.
FP04012013A000OR.jpg

On rolling the wings

I posted several years ago photos of the easy way to roll wingd for painting. Buy a long piece of 4 inch PVC pipe and suspend between two saw horses. Thread the pipe through the big rib holes. Use a 1.5 inch PVC pipe in the smaller hole as a break. Somewhere here are pics of how I did it. Cheap and worked great. Bill RV-8A Bluebird

Back