What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Budget Sight Gauge

Kokemiller

Well Known Member
Last week I took a VFR trip to Florida and had the good fortune of having a very experienced pilot go with me. He is an ex-topgun Navy F-14 pilot currently flying the 747. He taught me a lot of good info but one of the simplest, cheapest tricks he showed me is this half drinken bottle of water on the glare shield to use as cloud clearance sight. Works very well as we used it to top some clouds at 10000'.
2n7k4js.jpg

Pen pinched with two fingers vertically. Held up on the glare shield and steadied still. Put top of pen level with top of clouds for 1 minute.

Clouds slide down pen : you'll fly over

Clouds raise above pen top: into the clouds you'll go

Works in airbus and Rvs;)

patented by...the Egyptians? still STC holders!

.....Navy ..... one of the simplest, cheapest tricks he showed me is this half drinken bottle of water on the glare shield

as we all know, the navy invented the spirit level....(and grog, bubble sextant, and mermaid lures, patents pending! ;)
I'm glad your level worked, even using the 'wrong' fluid!:p

Last week I took a VFR trip to Florida and had the good fortune of having a very experienced pilot go with me. He is an ex-topgun Navy F-14 pilot currently flying the 747. He taught me a lot of good info but one of the simplest, cheapest tricks he showed me is this half drinken bottle of water on the glare shield to use as cloud clearance sight. Works very well as we used it to top some clouds at 10000'.
2n7k4js.jpg

In a pinch, that could work as an inclinometer too if the turbulence isn't too bad.;)

Not sure about that one. Way to think out of the box though!

Might watch this first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6TUGsT3zY

Couldn't see the video from where I am, but I'm assuming that's Bob Hoover rolling the Shrike Commander. The level of the tea in the pitcher and glass stayed parallel to the lateral axis of the airplane, just as the water in the bottle would do, and I 'd bet the ball (inclinometer) stayed in the center all the way around, indicating the airplane remained in coordinated flight throughout the maneuver. In uncoordinated flight the tea would end up on the floor, the water toward one end of the bottle, and the ball off center.

Could you explain the usage of this water bottle as a cloud clearance sight?

It's just like when your instructor said find the spot on the windscreen.... If the mountains, clouds start falling below the spot, you will fly over them. If they move up, then you will hit them. The same as hitting the end of the runway.

So from outer space, you would have earth on the spot (can't find the spot, stick a corner of a post-it at your line of sight..... horizon) keep it from rising or falling. Then sight in on North America.... do the same. Then Florida.... etc, etc, etc.

A 1/2 filled bottle of water may make the point, but it is not needed to make it work.

Couldn't see the video from where I am, but I'm assuming that's Bob Hoover rolling the Shrike Commander. The level of the tea in the pitcher and glass stayed parallel to the lateral axis of the airplane, just as the water in the bottle would do, and I 'd bet the ball (inclinometer) stayed in the center all the way around, indicating the airplane remained in coordinated flight throughout the maneuver. In uncoordinated flight the tea would end up on the floor, the water toward one end of the bottle, and the ball off center.

Mr. Hoover, correct. Still not sure about the inkilometer, inclimbometer, Blah! (Turn cordinator!!!!) I believe it's in oil vs water. I think all that's holding the tea in is gravity, not cordination. Uncordinated but positive G's still keeps the tea in the glass. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am curious. :confused:

PS, don't use big words we don't understand. I mean we ARE experimental pilots!

Mr. Hoover, correct. Still not sure about the inkilometer, inclimbometer, Blah! (Turn cordinator!!!!) I believe it's in oil vs water. I think all that's holding the tea in is gravity, not cordination. Uncordinated but positive G's still keeps the tea in the glass. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am curious. :confused:

An inclinometer is the ball that indicates skid-slip, i.e. coordination.

A rate of turn indicator is the gyroscopic instrument that indicates rate of turn.

They are two entirely different instruments, and by convention they are often put together into one package referred to as a turn coordinator.

Gravity always pulls the ice tea toward the center of the earth.

Centrifugal force always pulls the ice tea away from the center of centrifugal motion, i.e. toward the outside of a turn or loop.

In coordinated positive G maneuvers, the ice tea doesn't spill because the combined vector sum of the centrifugal force and the force of gravity is always a force vector acting toward the floor of the airplane. Sorry, had to get just a little scientific on ya...

Could you explain the usage of this water bottle as a cloud clearance sight?

In level flight, you sight across the level of water into the horizon. Clouds below, you'll clear. If you can see any of the cloud, you'll be in them. No waiting to see if it climbs or descends on a given point. Amazed me how well it works even 50 miles out.

For kicks and giggles just try it sometime.

Mr. Hoover, correct. Still not sure about the inkilometer, inclimbometer, Blah! (Turn cordinator!!!!) I believe it's in oil vs water. I think all that's holding the tea in is gravity, not cordination. Uncordinated but positive G's still keeps the tea in the glass. Correct me if I'm wrong, I am curious. :confused: ...

Next time you go fly, lay a half-full bottle of water up on the glarshield. Then step on the rudder and write back and tell us what happens... Better yet, take a video.

"Pilot" being the operative word. Anyone who's been through ground school should have heard of an inclinometer. Same number of letters and syllables as "experimental", BTW.;)

Inclinometer

Next time you go fly, lay a half-full bottle of water up on the glarshield. Then step on the rudder and write back and tell us what happens... Better yet, take a video.

"Pilot" being the operative word. Anyone who's been through ground school should have heard of an inclinometer. Same number of letters and syllables as "experimental", BTW.;)

My instructor referred to it as the "needle & ball" ;) .

Back