What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build the RV you want

humptybump

Well Known Member
There is a pretty familiar answer to the question "which RV should I build". For the most part, it comes down to goals and priorities.

I was curious about some of the performance differences between the various models. To that end, I went to the factory website and copied down data from a bunch of pages and here is what I found ...

click either image for larger version

The RV-3, RV-12, RV-14, and RV-10 have been omitted since they do not have a 160HP benchmark provided by Vans Aircraft.

This post is not meant to be a debate about individual aircraft getting better numbers or worse. Nor is it about some airframes take bigger engines. This is just meant to show that Vans Aircraft are pretty similar in the performance category.

Last edited:
It always seemed strange to me that the -9, supposedly best for cruising, has the smallest tanks of the modern two-seaters and the poorest mpg.

RV-6 is missing since Vans Aircraft no longer lists the data for it.

Interesting suggestion to add the official factory T/O and Landing numbers. I'll see what I can do. (updated original post)

One of the statements for why the RV-9 was introduced was to allow smaller, more frugal engines. Very few build them that way. Similarly, how many RV-8's are build with an O320 ?

Last edited:
But worst omission of all - was the RV12!

There is a pretty familiar answer to the question "which RV should I build". For the most part, it comes down to goals and priorities.

I was curious about some of the performance differences between the various models. To that end, I went to the factory website and copied down data from a bunch of pages and here is what I found ...

160hp_rv-575x96.jpg

The RV-3, RV-12, RV-14, and RV-10 have been omitted since they do not have a 160HP benchmark provided by Vans Aircraft.

This post is not meant to be a debate about individual aircraft getting better numbers or worse. Nor is it about some airframes take bigger engines. This is just meant to show that Vans Aircraft are pretty similar in the performance category.

Thanks Dan. Added the RV-6 to the table in the OP.

The more data I add, the more amazed I am at how similar the performance is across the platforms and yet how diverse the target audience for the platforms. There are some pretty smart people over at Vans Aircraft !

The RV-4/6/7/8 are aerodynamically very similar to each other (and to a lesser degree the -9 as well), so it should be no surprise that given the same engine their performance and efficiency numbers are also very similar.

That's why the choice does usually come down to personal preferences and priorities (and unending debates) about the design differences and their relative merits. Among them, approved engine choices, top speed, fuel capacity, cockpit configuration, landing gear configuration, and construction methods (old school RV-4/6 versus matched hole RV-7/8/9). And of course, primer!

click either image for larger version

You left the .jpg off the tail end of the URL for the second one.

The more I look at the differences between the 9 and the 7, the more happy I am that I ended up with a 7. I was leaning heavily toward the 9 but undecided when the opportunity to buy my current kit came up.

As for the matched hole kits versus building them like "real" men... :) All I can say is, I'm really grateful to the many people who did it the old way and helped Van's get to the point where I don't have to.

You left the .jpg off the tail end of the URL for the second one.

The more I look at the differences between the 9 and the 7, the more happy I am that I ended up with a 7. I was leaning heavily toward the 9 but undecided when the opportunity to buy my current kit came up.

As for the matched hole kits versus building them like "real" men... :) All I can say is, I'm really grateful to the many people who did it the old way and helped Van's get to the point where I don't have to.

It's only real men if it ends up with a tail wheel......:eek:

And one other thing...

The other item that is important is the useful load in the standard factory configuation (obviously useful varies tremendously according to choices made during the build). I always ask myself the question "how much can I carry on a 500 mile trip with a 45 min. fuel reserve". Since I'm on the large end of average, I also want a machine that can carry more than 2 180# FAA standard folks on a trip...

Don

Yes, nice data table, but how many RVs actually achieve those numbers? It seems like most RVs listed claim speeds 10-15 knots lower.

I can say that my RV-8 does not meet Vans numbers by about 7%.

However, if - as you suggest - most RV's have a common delta, then the relative delta of the data still applies.

Back