What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N159SB G3X Panel Upgrade Status

Brian is good to know that the inclination curved bar, the one that tells you the rate of turn is inverted with the bar in G3x, as is a backup we don't use it every day and when you have a problem with the g3x is important to know that the d6 works perfect but inverted grid, sorry my English if you don't understand tell me and I will check with the translator

Regards

I assume you are talking about this part of the D6 display? If so, I think I have it set like the G3X.

124kkt5.png

I will check when I fly again. The D6 can be set to work in 2 different ways in this regard.

Nice, very nice! Great job!

That does look awful familiar!

Be careful not to overtighten the screws against the powder coat as it may lift it around the screw heads. Those little thin plastic washers help in this regard.

Mounted the panel w/o components.

Now the fun part of making sure everything will fit. Brian thanks for the tip on the plastic washers.

BBC6677E-E20C-4BDB-A555-38377776C1D7_zpsklp8o952.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Would like to see Avionics comparison Matrix for panel purchase

I made a matrix out of what features I wanted in a panel. I also cross referenced that with what I already had that I planed to reuse to keep the cost down. Then last but definitely not least, there was the budget that I had to work with. .
Your welcome!

Flying an RV-6A and building a RV-7A. Looking at EFIS, AP and Radios and my bank account. Would love to see anyones avionics spreadsheets for making comparisons.

Looking at Advanced EFIS. Minimum IFR.

Mercedes
Engine IO-375 arrives Monday 2/10/14.

The panel is getting some upgrades/changes:

I have had a second AHRS (GSU 25) and Garmin servos (GSA 28) in my possession for some time now. Have been spending the last several chances for airplane time on getting them installed. I have pulled the GX Pilot and have already sold it. Rewired for and installed the Garmin servos. (Not a small task mind you! The wiring is completely different on the Garmin setup.) I have mounted the second AHRS (GSU 25) and will finish wiring it today. A couple more work sessions and I should be finished with the changes.

The GX Pilot is a fine AP. I really had no reason to change other than wanting to experience the newer technology around the Garmin servo's (nothing else like em out there in the experimental market) and to see how well Garmin has done with their AP algorithms.

The second AHRS (GSU 25) will enable AOA back in my panel and later when they ship the new remote mounted AOA indicator (GI 260) I will have it back up on the glare shield where it belongs.

Nothing picture worthy since it is all behind the scenes....

Oh I almost forgot! I also added back the remote compass that I pulled out during the massive upgrade. This is for the D6....

Last edited:
sorry to revive the thread, but its a good one :)

Brian, just started playing with the FPE designer, might you be able to share your panel file so I can use it as a starting point?

The GX Pilot is a fine AP. I really had no reason to change other than wanting to experience the newer technology around the Garmin servo's (nothing else like em out there in the experimental market) and to see how well Garmin has done with their AP algorithms.

So...could you provide a Pirep on the Garmin setup vs the GX Pilot?

Last edited:
So...could you provide a Pirep on the Garmin setup vs the GX Pilot?

The GX pilot and my airplane never got along too well in the pitch axis. In turns it would sort of porpoise depending on tuning. I never could find a sweet spot in the tuning that gave me great performance.

As far as the Garmin AP setup goes...the best way I can describe it is "Modern Airliner" type performance. I truly feels solid as a rock and like it is on rails. It really is something you have to experience to fully understand.

I have flown behind the Legacy Dynon, NAVAID, TRIO EZ Pilot, TT GX Pilot and now the Garmin and the Garmin comes out on top in my opinion in performance.

Back