What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Dimpling Small Parts With Pneumatic Squeezer

David Paule

Well Known Member
Clamp the yoke into your vice. That makes it a lot easier to dimple small hand-held parts like stiffeners.

2zfll3m.jpg

Dave

Dave,

First you are missing a Y in your name.:D

Second, watch the fingers. You can get carried away but I do
like this method.

This is a great method ... I invented it this past weekend! I have an alligator squeezer and I mount the fixed jaw in the vise. What I like about the alligator is that I can squeeze the jaws closed by hand with very little force prior to hitting the trigger. This guarantees that 1) the dimple die is in the hole and the flats are flush with the surface, and 2) the fingers are out of harms way!

Dave,

Watch the fingers. You can get carried away but I do
like this method.

Bruce says this because I sent him a picture of a smashed finger that HIS squeezer did! I bought a squeezer shortly after that and it never smashed my finger. I think his squeezer was home sick...

I did something similar only I rotated it so the dimple dies are vertical and up side down and setup a knee trigger. I can hold the pieces with both hands and trigger the knee pad to press.

I got the idea from the hangarworkshop video :)

I have a bench mount for my squeezer which places it in an upright position. Then I use a foot pedal to actuate the squeezer,
hands free to be able to two fist my work while squeezing. I rarely use the thumb trigger on the squeezer since I installed my foot pedal.:)

Lorne, I'm not happy with my knee press solution. Do you have a picture of your foot pedal and how you hooked it up?

Bruce says this because I sent him a picture of a smashed finger that HIS squeezer did! I bought a squeezer shortly after that and it never smashed my finger. I think his squeezer was home sick...

Subway,
I think it was hungry. For cookies or aluminum and your finger got
in the way.:cool:

... why I should never build an airplane ...

So, I really wanted use some of the ideas in this thread. Specifically, teh idea of mounting the sqeezer then having a foot peddle to trigger it.

I saw a video by Cleaveland of dimpling using a bench mounted squeezer. A foot pedal activated the squeezer. It looked quite easy to use.

I wanted to do the same thing with my existing "C" squeezer.

Given my solution, I should not be allowed to build an airplane :eek: video proof

Last edited:
So, I really wanted use some of the ideas in this thread. Specifically, teh idea of mounting the sqeezer then having a foot peddle to trigger it.

I saw a video by Cleaveland of dimpling using a bench mounted squeezer. A foot peddle activated the squeezer. It looked quite easy to use.

I wanted to do the same thing with my existing "C" squeezer.

Given my solution, I should not be allowed to build an airplane :eek: video proof

Gotta love it and I think this is exactly why you should be allowed to build an airplane!

I have been using a foot pedal for my squeezer since the start of my -10. It probably has saved 10 or more hours. Mounting it in my vice, I did all the dimples on all of the tailcone stringers in less than one hour.

You can also use the foot pedal (mine at least) by holding it in one hand and the squeezer in the other. For dimpling the holes on the edge of large sheets I set the sheet on a table and go around the edges sitting in a chair.

The most important thing I have learned is that you do NOT want to get into a nice rhythm. If you do you will add a lightening hole.

I purchased the pedal from McMaster Carr, part number 9781K12 Foot-Pedal-Operated Air Control Valve, Single Pedal, Spring Return, 3-Way, 2-Position, 2.88" L . Price was $61.44. I used some plastic hose to hook it up to the squeezer and air system.

...The most important thing I have learned is that you do NOT want to get into a nice rhythm. If you do you will add a lightening hole....

BTDT.:mad: I don't have a foot pedal, but I do have to conciously and completely let go of the thumb trigger between holes.

Glen,

Haven't had that good of laugh in weeks!!!

I'd say you're overqualified to build an airplane... and being a lifetime member of the Rube Goldberg society myself, I greatly admire your work. It's heartwarming to see an individual like yourself take Rube's methodology to new levels of complex simplicity.

Regards,

Glen

As seen above, I think I got it from Avery Tools :confused: But mine came with the foot pedal separate(which has the nice feathering ability required for dimpling and riveting), I think the quick release compression hose was separate. Of course this was about four year ago or so.

Back