What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing a solid with a pulled rivet?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
An incorrect nutplate was installed in my -8 by the original builder. After conferring with Van's, they said using pulled rivets to install the replacement nutplates is fine. Access is limited, so using a solid again is impossible. The question is, which one to use?

There seems to be considerable variation in pulled rivets beyond hole diameter and length.

So, if I need a 3/32" diameter pulled, countersunk pulled rivet to replace the original 426 3-3.5, how do I know which one is suitable?

My kit included some MK-319-BS. They seem like they would work, but how do know?

Pretty much any old rivet that will fit the hole will work for nut plates. They only need to keep it in position and keep it from spinning. The structural aspect comes from the nut plate, not the rivets.

That being said, cherry makes one that works well. The number escapes me at the moment, but I think it starts with ccr. If nobody else chimes in, I'll go root around out in the shop until I find it.

Pretty much any old rivet that will fit the hole will work for nut plates. They only need to keep it in position and keep it from spinning. The structural aspect comes from the nut plate, not the rivets.

That being said, cherry makes one that works well. The number escapes me at the moment, but I think it starts with ccr. If nobody else chimes in, I'll go root around out in the shop until I find it.

CCR-264SS-3-2 CherryMAX Rivet (there is also one with a 3/16 grip if needed)

Try these

Here you go. Give these a go

Attachments

• 7E2DAB62-4CF9-4186-8991-960BD6909C75.jpeg
    7E2DAB62-4CF9-4186-8991-960BD6909C75.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 89
Back