What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration marks for US aircraft visiting Canada

wcalvert

Well Known Member
I'm reading the Standard 222 - Aircraft Marking and Registration - Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) for information about the size of proper markings. Two questions come up.

The standard for heavier than air looks to be 5.9 inches unless displayed on the bottom of the wing or aircraft, then it's bigger. A later paragraph says 11.8 inches except where that size won't fit, and then 5.9 is ok ... So what size is being used on GA?

And, what sort of risk would I be taking while visiting if my numbers aren't in order. I don't want to leave my aircraft in Canada because the inspector decides to play hard ball!

Just looking for some insight

Cheers

Seems half of Canadian planes don't meet the mark sizing either...

I have never heard of an N numbered aircraft having a problem, ever, over their markings.

Come up & enjoy your time in Canada!
Just get informed about the current Covid testing & reporting requirements prior to entering Canada...

Cheers

Your markings in Canada are something like this…..place them on the side of the fuselage at just under 12” and your good to go.
If you can’t do that or you don’t want to then go ahead and use the less than 6” markings on the tail or side of fuselage however now your going to have to put 2’ markings on the bottom of your wings. Done deal!

By the way, in my experience Canadian officials really are not interested in making sure the USA aircraft are properly marked so as others have said, come on up and enjoy yourself, we love American aviator visitors.:)

Don’t forget that you need 12” numbers to cross the border into Canada. I made them out of blue masking tape :)

marks

Chances are 0.01% anyone will care. Just come and don't worry about it.

Put a roll or 2 of black electrical tape in your flight bag. In event someone cares you can whip out some 12" reg letters in 5 min.

There is no standard for aircraft markings in Canada. I have been in their offices and had six different opinions reading the current regulations as they are written. They have told me mark the plane so that you can read it,, if you get ramp checked and grounded take them to court. They figure a judge would throw it out as it is written.. Just walk around any airport in Canada and you will see there is no standard as to size or position, on certified or non certified. Markings are suppose to be on a fixed surface but many planes have part of their marks on a rudder and part on the VS.

Not only don't worry about Canada. Don't worry about re-entry into the USA. We have customers with N-numbered aircraft with 3" numbers (Cessna 210's, 182's, Bonanzas). They cross back and forth between the USA and Mexico many times a month and have never been hassled for the N-Number size. So the registration marking size specifications seem to be obsolete in actual practice.

Don’t forget that you need 12” numbers to cross the border into Canada. I made them out of blue masking tape :)

12" numbers are ONLY needed in ADIZ. Last time I checked, there was NO ADIZ along the US / Canadian border. I have never used 12" numbers going in or out of Canada or Alaska. I have only used 12" numbers going to and from the Bahamas.

Will need an active Flight Plan and Squawk Code crossing international border.

As far as airworthiness goes (and this includes registration marks), wouldn't they have to meet the requirements of the country the aircraft is registered in?

Certainly air law applies, but not the small differences in aircraft airworthiness standards. We're just coming around to the "usefulness" of gascolators and whiskey compasses. IFR navigation equipment requirements are different too.

12" markings fit on the side of all RV fuselages. This is the requirement in Canada. The only exception: If you don't want 12" markings on the side of the fuselage, you can put 6" markings on the fuselage instead, and 20" markings on the bottom of the wing.

And just because you want them on the vertical stabilizer doesn't mean you can use less than 6" letters. 6" letters fit elsewhere on the side of the aircraft, and as such, must go there instead.

This is exactly how the rules parse out for all RV aircraft, and is one area where MD-RA could be enforcing rules but isn't.

US Aircraft flying into Canada may fly in with whatever markings are legal in the US. There is no requirement to "upgrade" your marks to fly here.

I have never had issues with 3" numbers, usually clear with "can pass" over the phone, rarely see a customs official. However, take a look at your operating limitations..... newer ones state the aircraft must have a copy of the Canadian Operating Rules for Experimental Aircraft in their aircraft when operating in Canada. No big deal, just download off the Transport Canada web site, print, and go. Does anybody ever check? Not that I am aware of, but best to stay legal.

DAR Gary

However, take a look at your operating limitations..... newer ones state the aircraft must have a copy of the Canadian Operating Rules for Experimental Aircraft in their aircraft when operating in Canada.

They probably reference rules for Amateur-Built Aircraft, as the Experimental category is something else entirely here in Canada.

Back