What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap hing bolts

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I torqued my flap hing castle nuts. Since there is a bushing, I torqued the nuts to 55 inch pounds. With this setting the flap do not move freely and have a little resistance. The flap motor had no problem moving the flaps but concerned about the additional load on the flap motor. The nuts were previously around 30-35 inch pounds. Just to confirm, is the torque setting of 50-70 inch pounds correct for the flap hardware?

Also, is there any concerns if I changed out the hardware from the standard MS to stainless steel hardware. Since the plane is often down in the Florida Key, the MS hardware starts looking rusty after a couple of years, even with trying to keep corrosion x on it.

Thanks…..

IIRC, the flap bolts are done with castellated nuts and drilled bolts. Set min clearance for the bushing to bushing and insert cotter pin.

Mike, so does this mean it is not torqued. I thought a bolt through a bushing was normally torqued to specs? Even many castle nuts get torqued, i.e. engine mount bolts etc.

Last edited:
The trouble with torquing the bolts to tight is the flap hinges can start to grind on the bush ends, if done up to loose the bolt can rotate in the flap hinges. A mod I used was to capture the bolt end so now the bolt rotates with the flap and rotates in the bush as required. My "bracket" is held by two pop rivets, if this method is used, make sure the rivet ends don't conflict with the flap movements. Has done 700 hours with no problems.

Sorry meant to attach pic but, now here it is.

Attachments

• DFF7A0C1-5969-4ED5-95D9-D9158F922791.jpeg
    DFF7A0C1-5969-4ED5-95D9-D9158F922791.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 100
I believe the bushing is only there to protect the soft AL from the bolt slightly turning while operating the flaps.

Yep, that’s what the the bush is for. “to stop the bolt wearing the soft AL” But the bolt is already a slide in fit in the flap hinge brackets, so if/when the ideal bolt torque is not achieved then those soft AL flap hinge brackets and the bolt effectively can become the hinge, unless the bolt is restrained on the flap hinge bracket, then the bolt will rotate in the bush as it’s meant to do.

Back