What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B For Dynon D180 RV-12s

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
I just finished installing the Freeflight FDL-978-XVR package in my RV-12. I have the Dynon D180 system, so the new skyview ADS-B box was not an option for me. I had good luck with the Freeflight system in my Cherokee so I bought a package for my RV-12 at OSH this year Not cheap at $3500, but I think it is worth it to get the compliance out of the way before the 2020 deadline. The package includes the universal access transceiver, WiFi Module, Control Head, ADS-B stub antenna, GPS antenna, connectors and coax. My setup uses an IPad Mini with WingX to display the ADS-B IN.

I mounted the components as follows:

UAT Module: Forward and outboard of the co-pilot D100 EFIS on the avionics bay deck

Control head: Outboard of the co-pilot EFIS on the panel (2 1/4" cutout)

WiFi Module: Under the avionics bay deck on the co-pilot side (to ensure no shielding of the signal)

GPS Antenna: On the centerline of the avionics bay cover forward of the canopy.

ADS Antenna: On the fuselage belly about 5 feet aft of the comm antenna.

I took power from the GTX-327 DB-9 connector by teeing into the red power lead and running it through two fuses I mounted under the co-pilot EFIS (one each for the transceiver and the WiFi Module).

I ran the ADS-B cable through the baggage compartment bulkhead and under the pilot arm rest up through the avionics bay deck. The GPS coax is only about 16" long.

It was a bit tricky figuring out the pin maps for the connectors and the software configuration, but the folks at Freeflight were very helpful.

I really like this solution for the D180 setup, and if anyone is interested I would be happy to send them my Pin Map schematic and software configuration setup.

Great job Rick. I'll take a pin out. ;) Send it to my email below. I also looked at this unit at OSH. I think there will be more units like this as we get closer to 2020. I'm all about waiting to the last possible moment.:eek: No really I know they will make this unit smaller and better over the next 5 years and who knows what new products will become available. But for now great job incorporating this new technology with the ipad.:D

I'm confused. My understanding was that a legal 2020 ADSB-OUT system had to include a certified IFR GPS for a position source...WAAS does not mean IFR certified. That would be a TSO 129 or TSO 146 certification. How does Freeflight sell this claim with a TSO 145?

Even Dynon has stepped back from claiming their ADSB OUT system from legal 2020 compliance:

For experimental EFIS customers that wish to build an instrument suite that allows the pilot to use GPS navigation as a primary reference in IFR, whether en-route or approach, it is Dynon Avionics' opinion that this cannot be done legally in the USA without a fully certified TSO-C129 or TSO-C146 GPS Navigator on board. A device which is only certified to TSO-C145 is not sufficient, and TSO-C145 is what any GPS module that does not have a screen and databases is certified to

Obviously ADSB In has no such requirements nor a 2020 mandate. The question is how can a company claim 2020 compliance without an IFR certified GPS source?

ADS-B requires an ADS-B certified (TSO-C154c or TSO C166b) GPS source, not an IFR certified GPS source. However, to operate in Class A and/or international airspace, aircraft are required to equip with avionics certified to TSO-C166b.

Many IFR certified GPS sources are also certified as an ADS-B GPS sources, but not all are. As an example the Garmin 430/530 are IFR certified GPS but are not ADS-B certified. The DYNON GPS puck is not certified for ADS-B either so in both of these cases (Garmin 430/530 and DYNON GPS) you need a separate certified external ADS-B position source in order to be 2020 compliant. Even the Garmin 430W/530W is not ADS-B certified without a software upgrade. Different applications have different certifications.

The GPS receiver within the FreeFlight FDL-978-XVR system is certified under TSO-C154c (UAT) so it is 2020 ADS-B compliant but only for flight within the US and outside of Class A airspace.

:cool:

Last edited:
The Freeflight internal GPS is TSO'd and certified to something called level C. It fully meets FAA requirements.

I'll get some pics today and post tonight, but I already buttoned up the avionics bay.

If you've seen my other posts you may remember I put in 4" inspection ports on the fuselage belly. That was the reason I elected to route my coax on the side under the upholstery. I didn't need to remove the gas tank and bulkhead because I have the ports to work through. I'm not sure the central cable tunnel has room for more cables anyway.

I also installed a second comm, and a GS/VOR antenna on the vertical stab. I'll install a compact VAL Electronics NAV receiver when it comes off back order.

With this much new electric load I am increasing the Comm Stack fuse to 10 amps and intend to routinely leave the new comm off and only use the VAL unit for practice approaches. Yesterday with just the ADS-B as a new load I was showing 13.8 V and a charge rate of 2 amps in cruise at 5100 RPM.

ADS-B requires an ADS-B certified (TSO-C154c or TSO C166b) GPS source, not an IFR certified GPS source. However, to operate in Class A and/or international airspace, aircraft are required to equip with avionics certified to TSO-C166b.

Many IFR certified GPS sources are also certified as an ADS-B GPS sources, but not all are. As an example the Garmin 430/530 are IFR certified GPS but are not ADS-B certified. The DYNON GPS puck is not certified for ADS-B either so in both of these cases (Garmin 430/530 and DYNON GPS) you need a separate certified external ADS-B position source in order to be 2020 compliant. Even the Garmin 430W/530W is not ADS-B certified without a software upgrade. Different applications have different certifications.

The GPS receiver within the FreeFlight FDL-978-XVR system is certified under TSO-C154c (UAT) so it is 2020 ADS-B compliant.

Nice explanation. Lots of systems being sold that will be not be compliant in 5 years. Sounds like the spec to look for is TSO-C154C. Thanks.

OK, here are the pics I took today of the panel (The ADS-B unit is below the Microair 760 Comm), the GPS Antenna, The ADS-B antenna and the WiFi mounted under the avionics bay on the co-pilot side.
Panel.jpg.html

Sorry, guys. Tiny Pic didn't like them. Photobucket didn't like them, and whatever brand x I used last didn't. I have reached my GAS limit. Figuring out the ADS-B was easier than trying to post the pics. Anybody who wants them five me an e-mail address.

Rich:mad:

Nice explanation. Lots of systems being sold that will be not be compliant in 5 years. Sounds like the spec to look for is TSO-C154C. Thanks.

Yes, unless you are going to fly international or in Class A airspace. To fly international or in class A airspace you have to comply with TSO-C166b, which means 1090Mhz out, not TSO-154c which is 978Mhz out.

TSO-C166b is valid worldwide. TSO-C154c is valid only within the US if outside of Class A.

Last edited:
Joe, yuddaman! I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy! Thank you for making the white man's magic and getting the photos up!:D

I am just completing my Finishing Kit. Gas tank not installed. Floor panels not all installed. What should/can I do now to make this install easier (without buying the FreeFlight kit now) and stay ELSA?

Ben,

I don't think the rules will let you do anything without jeopardizing the ELSA eligibility prior to certification of the aircraft.

From a technical standpoint there are two coax cables (RG400 recommended by Freeflight) that could be run for later use. One needs to terminate at least 6 feet aft of the transponder antenna where you will eventually install the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the fuselage. The other coax is for the GPS antenna which some folks like to install behind the cockpit. It has to go on top of the fuselage, but I avoided that one by mounting my antenna on the avionics bay cover forward of the canopy.

I should mention that the 978-XVR supports a second ADS-B antenna mounted on top of the fuselage for improved coverage, but it is NOT required by FAA in light aircraft and mine works fine with just the bottom antenna (RV and Cherokee). I only mention it because you could run that coax too.

Unless you add inspection ports you will have to take out the baggage bulkhead anyway to install the antennae, so you really aren't saving yourself much work.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Ben - I guess you are doing D180 not Skyview.
Whichever - run the wiring while it is easy. Its just unconnected wires laying there. Won't even be noticed.

New RV12s have split rear bulkheads. Be sure to install that version originally and never have to remove your tank. Installing an antenna aft of that bulkhead is easy if it is split and you do not have to take out the tank.

If you are doing Skyview, it would be different.

Rich.

...by mounting my (GPS)antenna on the avionics bay cover forward of the canopy.

Why did you put it on top of the avionics instead of under the fiberglass cowling like the 496? Will it not work there?

Pete, it was just easier to put it on top, and I wanted to keep the engine compartment heat off it. It also keeps the coax short and you don't have to penetrate the firewall.

per Ken Scott w Vans " no such bulkhead is available"

I may be wrong here Ben but I think splitting the rear bulkhead was something that Van's presented at OSH this year as a future enhancement. It may still be in the works and not in approved ELSA plans yet. Most of us did it ourselves shortly after our Airworthiness - not that big a deal to take the tank out.

I still like the inspection ports. I put them in after certification, and did it with a hole saw, so I didn't have to remove the bulkhead to do it. I can gain access for annual in just a few minutes without having to be a yoga master to go in through the baggage compartment --- a real plus at 63!

Rich

Back