What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt Grommet tool

wirejock

Well Known Member
I fabricated the attached jig for installing or removing Skybolt Grommets. The grommets have to be installed to get the fasteners and receptacles positioned. That has to be done first to get the split line perfect. Problem is the grommets fit really tight. Too tight to push into place with bare hands. Press fit tight. Later they have to be removed to paint then reinstalled. Lots of opportunities to scratch that beautiful paint.
The jig is simple, but it works great and no scratching of the paint when they get final installed. It's just a 5/16" bolt, washer, nut, 1/2" bushing and a chunk of PVC pipe. The business part is the 1/2" bushing. One end is ground down the 15/32". Thats the dimension of the grommet on the inside of the cowl. The other end is left 1/2". That's to drive the outer end of the grommet. The 1/4" thick slice of PVC is a spacer is bored to 5/8" to allow the grommet to be pulled in or out. Photo explains it pretty well. It's set up to push the grommet back out. Yes, it's ugly but it works. YMMV.
20211114_124227.jpg

Cool tool….
Did you use the Skybolt tabs or make your own? If you used the tabs, how did you get the holes precisely drilled….seems that would be difficult.

Skybolt

Cool tool….
Did you use the Skybolt tabs or make your own? If you used the tabs, how did you get the holes precisely drilled….seems that would be difficult.

I used their hardware. No sense fabricating when I already paid for it.
It's all in the draft and eventually another article.
Skybolt kit includes 10 bushings that precisely fit the flange hole. They are hardened with 1/8" holes. Tape it in a flange on the inside. Tape a flashlight so it points in the hole. Drill the spot from outside. Insert a cleko. Locked in position. That's the short version. :D
You need a good estimate of quantity. They are pricey piecemeal. Buy a kit(s) as needed.

Back