What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging Flaps: What is the W-413 Aileron Hinge Bracket?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I can't find any reference to this. I can't see it on any plans. Apparently it's going to be in the way of inserting the hinge rod once installed?

What I'd really like to know is how to align the flaps to be in line with the ailerons, and then capture that EXACT position so I can drill the hinge to the airframe.

Hinge tip

Hinge pins are really tough to install full length. Vans mentions drilling a hole in the hinge bracket to pass them through. Many builders split them in the middle and remove an eylet. Much easier.

Tip for drilling the flap hinge...
Drill and install the flap side hinge.
Setup the wing with aileron locked in trail. A board drilled to the rib alignment holes works pretty good
Fab a bunch of long fat rivets to fit the wing skin/flap brace. Enough for half the holes. Check to be certain they fit tight.
Insert every other hole to hold the flap brace to the wing skin. Insert so they will be flush to the hinge with any extra sticking out the wing skin. You will pull them out later.
Pin the other half hinge to the flap and clamp the flap in place so the wing half of the hinge is in the correct location.
Fine tune the measurements till its exactly in the right place.
Drill the open holes inserting clekos as you go. I had a helper hold a backing board against the hinge from the other side.
Pull the fat rivets and drill the remaining holes.

Back