What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 fails to update…

PittsS1Spilot

I have a Garmin 396 that has never been updated and has spent its life sitting on the shelf.

It takes forever to find itself and is running the original operating system/ software.

I have tried to update it several times but always get this failure message. (See photo)

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or what I can do? Garmin does not seem willing to help me.

Attachments

• 03720B96-55C4-4BB0-82AE-8FDA625521DF.jpg
    03720B96-55C4-4BB0-82AE-8FDA625521DF.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 77
GPSMAP 396 Software Update

I have a Garmin 396 that has never been updated and has spent its life sitting on the shelf.

It takes forever to find itself and is running the original operating system/ software.

I have tried to update it several times but always get this failure message. (See photo)

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or what I can do? Garmin does not seem willing to help me.

Good Afternoon,

This can be caused by an operating system incompatibility, does the PC you are using meet the minimum requirements listed?

Have you reached out to our Pilot Operation's group to work on this yet? They are often able to help work around these types of issues with you on the phone, there are often unique issues to overcome, depending on the individual PC you are using.

Thanks,

Justin

But First...

Try recharging the internal battery before trying the firmware update.
Plug the unit into your 120volt home adapter, and turn the unit ON.
Put the unit in simulation mode.
Let it run for 24 hours.

The internal battery will only recharge when the unit is on, and 24 hours is enough time, unless the internal battery will no longer accept a charge.

Back