What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending the canopy frame

Marvin

Some 10 years ago I put together this RV8A and now I have a cracked canopy and have ordered new parts complete with frame, canopy and skirt to build a new one. As we get older we forget what we did and I can't recall making the it . Now my question is and I need the best answer is how to bend the canopy frame. The plans call for a distance of 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch between the fuselage frame slider and the frame. What's the best way to bend it down about an inch or so. The plan say we use muscle power but doesn't describe in which way we use it. I called Van's builders assistance and they were telling me I should cut the frame or put some kind of a plate in there I didn't understand what he was saying he probably thought I was senile. If somebody out there has photos of how they did it, I would appreciate it very much and be forever grateful. A phone call would be appreciated.

Dick N 90774

Last edited:
Now my question is and I need the best answer is how to bend the canopy frame. The plans call for a distance of 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch between the fuselage frame slider and the frame. What's the best way to bend it down about an inch or so.

If you are talking about the rear bow that sits above the slider track. To bend that I took the frame off the plane, set it on the concrete floor with some blocks of wood under it and used my foot pressure while pulling up on the main slider frame to bend it. Initially I had to bend mine up a bit as it was too low, then after doing some fitting I had to raise it a bit which just required the same thing in reverse with the block on the other side.

If you are talking about the sides being pulled in enough to be inside the fuselage side longarons? Then that I accomplished with a ratchet cargo web strap. I placed it around the sides and pulled them in quite a bit beyond where they needed to be and when they sprung back they would slowly move in. Be careful not to kink the frame with too much pressure.

If finally we are talking about the front bow with the rollers in the bottom. That can be pushed and pulled by putting the block on the floor and leaning on it, or stepping on one side and pulling hard up with your arms. Hence the comment about muscling it into shape.

Hope that helps. If you want to talk feel free to send me a number via direct message.

Lean in...

IMG_4052_zpseab784d6.jpg
:D

Back