What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Organizing the cockpit

SHIPCHIEF

Well Known Member
So I'm getting a few hours on my RV-8, and wondering where do you guys store stuff when flying solo?
My existing flight bag can be crammed in beside my seat, maybe a narrower one would be good.
Some stuff fits in the back seat's foot wells. Check List, Fire extinguisher, gloves, flashlight, the battery pack for my ANR headset.
I store a decibel Meter on the console next to the fuel selector, to check on improvements to my noisy rotary engine and canopy air leaks.
But mainly, I'm wondering what kind of bags, boxes, drink bottles, Ipad holder, clip board mount for flight notes or discrepancies, cookie jar, you tell me?

Hi Scott...

A good question, to which the answers will vary and no doubt be contentious ;)

I come from a military flying background, where there shall be nothing "loose" in the cockpit. It eithers goes in a Velcro pocket (checklist / map) or is tied to you (pen), or has a secure stowage (pitot cover). This is to minimise things flying about during manoeuvring (aerobatics) and Loose Articles getting into the controls (which adds another discipline of ensuring everything you take into the cockpit is removed after flight, else aircraft grounded until it is located).

Clearly we cannot all be expected to adhere to this, but it is a starting point. As such, in our RV-8 (and it seems pretty unusual in this regard), stowage is a priority:
  1. Vans Map Box in the Panel. The cheapest real estate going in Panel terms, and I still think about the most valuable. All sorts of paperwork / tools / phones / water bottles etc. goes in here. Just clear it out from time to time...
  2. Right "Mid Cabin Cover": keep space below clear of wiring and fuel pipes, and fit a storage compartment with a lid that can be secured. Ours is just a fibreglass box with AL sheet lid. Takes chocks, pitot cover, fuel drain, fuses etc.. - "permanaent aircraft equipment".
  3. Left Mid Cabin Cover: Ensure Fuel Valve etc. as far forward as possible, and again, keep fuel piping / wiring away from under rear half. Another fibreglass box, open this time, but can use elastic straps from the screws. Takes short terms stuff e.g. water bottles, food.
  4. Sidewalls: material pockets for maps etc.
Effect is we can carry a fair amount of stuff, yet still be safe for aeros etc.. With regard to your post:
  • Check List: Small one goes under roll bar flanges on windshield
  • Fire extinguisher: Don't have one... but if you wish, they seem to go on aft of Gear Tower?
  • Gloves: On hands!
  • Flashlight: don't have one, but we cannot fly in the dark
  • Battery pack for ANR headset: Don't have one - use helmet or headset with ANR powered from aircraft electrics
  • Ipad holder: Ummm, don't have/need iPad in cockpit
  • My existing flight bag What is, and goes in, a "flight bag" for GA type flying??
  • Some stuff fits in the back seat's foot wells This works OK until a back seater puts their feet there. Digging your sandwiches out from under a size 10 boot tends to make lunch less appetising ;)
In short, some discipline during building and flying can go a long to addressing this issue.

We setup a UK RV Formation School using largely current and ex-Mil instructors. The biggest issue early on was "loose articles" - especially the SBS RVs where the stuff just "dumped" in the baggage area was amazing. The "students" (owners) took a little adjustment to the concept "we don't even strap in until that area is empty" :eek: But the idea got there...

Pouches

I use several of these inexpensive pouches to distribute various items:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/pocketcaselarge.php?clickkey=474669
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/pocketcasesmall.php?clickkey=474669

I have one on either side of the rear seat. The velcro clings to the seat fabric. I can stick the small ones on either side of the front seat cushion, but they are easily dislodged by feet.
Wide industrial velcro on the side panels let me place a couple of others conveniently. You may be able to find room for four to six of them.

I also added a small compartment on the right side (mirror of the fuel selector) for batteries, pulse oximeter, etc. It has a hinged door with quarter turn fastener (sorry... no pic).

Don

I am with Andy on this one ... also ex-military ... and don't like lose objects in cockpits. If it doesn't go in the pockets or the map box then it goes in the baggage bay. I also have the Classic Aero Design rear stick cover as that is one potentially nasty area Vans has left uncovered.

36-LRG.jpg

I now have a Brodit smartphone clip mounted on my map box as my back up nav system on cross country flights. So the real estate is not wasted.

Back