What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intermittent Alternator, Mounting a Nexus 7, and other questions...

jjhoneck

Well Known Member
Hi All,

We've got our new (to us) RV-8A, and have just finished up transition training with Tom Berge. We are raring to go!

First, however, we've got a pesky intermittent alternator problem that is vexing us. It's been popping off-line since Tom picked the plane up in Vermont two weeks ago. It always comes back, but it's unnerving.

Worse, while it was in MN he pulled the alternator and took it in to have it tested. It tested bad, so we replaced it, expecting this to resolve the problem. NOPE, it's still popping off-line from time to time.

Tom spent too many hours tracing wires, so we're sure it's not a loose or broken wire. Our next guess is the voltage regulator. It's mounted to the firewall, and gets ungodly hot at this time of year. We think it's maybe popping off-line at a certain temperature, but now lately it's been fine, so we honestly have no good idea what to do next.

The REAL question is why that alternator tested "bad". Methinks that alternator shop sold us a bill of goods, but who knows? My inclination is to just replace the regulator -- it's all of $27 bucks. What do you guys think?

Next up...mounting tablets in an RV-8. We love our Nexus 7, running Garmin Pilot bluetoothed to the Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver. It provides us with free traffic and weather overlaid on moving map sectional charts on a nice, bright screen.

We want to mount one in each cockpit, with the one in back providing "faux" cockpit six-pack instruments and navigation for the backseater. (This is a nice feature of Garmin Pilot.) How have you guys mounted your tablets in the -8?

Also...control sticks. Ours is a wee-bit (like, an inch) shorter than we would like. It looks like we've got two choices: Replace the stick, and reuse the grip, or replace the grip with something that's bigger/taller.

What do you guys recommend? It would be nice to have the coolie-hat electric trim instead of the button, methinks, but how hard is it to get those grips off?

So many fun things to do... :D Thanks for your help!

Hi Jay. Regarding the tablet this is how I mounted mine in the back. I'm afraid that I don't know enough about electrics to help you with the alternator issue. Regarding your desire for top hat trim I love my Infinity stick grip especially when in formation.

Hi Jay. Regarding the tablet this is how I mounted mine in the back. I'm afraid that I don't know enough about electrics to help you with the alternator issue. Regarding your desire for top hat trim I love my Infinity stick grip especially when in formation.

Thanks! I was wondering about a sun shield for the tablet. In direct sunlight, the Nexus 7 is marginal, so that seems like a definite add-on.

Thanks for the recommendation on the stick grip, too.

Hi Jay

There are many types of Alternator the builder could have fitted to your RV... there is no "standard". Even the ones Vans supplies (but not as part of the kit) vary by choice and over the years.

If you think Heat is an issue, especially at the regulator you could either fit a Blast Tube from the baffles to the regulator, or swap out the whole alternator system maybe for an internally regulated type e.g. Plane Power - again ensuring it is cooled.

Re the stick just ensure when you say "it is short" you would stll have clearance not only under the main panel, but the cross strut forward if it - and not just clearance, but enough for your fingers as well.

How hard to get the grips off? Depends on the grip type and how the builder put it on - if they used a strong glue suspect it is not coming off. OTOH some grips are secured via a screw.

Grip

Jay,
Congratulations on your new -8A.

If you do an advanced search on the word "grip" in the thread titles, you will find a ton of information on them.

Similar searches on other topics will potentially answer a lot of questions as a new owner.

Good luck.

I've ordered a new voltage regulator by part number, as the alternator keeps going off-line. I'm a bit worried, since the one pictured appears to have an extra pair of wires, despite being the EXACT part number and brand. Not sure what I will do when it arrives if it's not just "plug and play".

Stay tuned for more questions! :D

Alternator

A bad volt or ammeter gauge has sent more than one RVer chasing apparent alternator/regulator issues. break out your test gear and to verify they're functioning properly before replacing additional parts.

I had an intermittent alternator issue on my C-152. The AP/AI was unable to track down the problem as it never developed for him during testing. I found the cause when I was replacing the 2-AWG cables. The alternator field wire was chaffed under an Adel clamp and would occasionally make contact to ground on the engine mount.

Congrats Jay on the new plane! Got any pics posted yet?

Your symptoms of occasionally popping the field breaker are classic signs of regulator failure.

When an alternator (with external regulator) fails, it often takes out the regulator too.

Regulators can take the heat of being firewall mounted, that's usually never the problem.

Was your original regulator a little metal rectangular shape with only two wires? If so, then I generally consider those to be junk. My -6 had one when I first bought the plane and despite only having 250 hours on it, it was toast, only letting the alternator put out about 12.5 or less volts.
I replaced it with the Ford-style regulator (4 connections labelled I A S F). Specifically I bought the BWD "Select" regulator for a mid 1970's Ford LTD 460 engine from O'Reilley auto parts. I believe the part number is #R400.

On the Ford style regulator, the "I" terminal is left unconnected/unused, the "F" terminal goes to the alternator's field terminal, and both the "A" and "S" terminals get tied together and go to the output terminal of your Alt Field circuit breaker.

Also...control sticks. Ours is a wee-bit (like, an inch) shorter than we would like. It looks like we've got two choices: Replace the stick, and reuse the grip, or replace the grip with something that's bigger/taller.
It would help to know what kind of grip you have now... Does the aluminum part of the stick come all the way to the top of the stick, and have a "bicycle grip" handle over the top? If so, you've got a fair bit of material to work with.

Most of the fancier sticks i've seen from Infinity and Tosten require you to shorten the stock stick anyway, as they attach to the end of the stick and overhang whatever you have.

If you like the military-style fighter-looking grips, then Infinity is the way to go. They make great grips, with lots and lots of switch options, and they're in use in hundreds if not thousands of amateur-built aircraft... Not just RV's.

If you like the functionality the Infinity provides, but would like something that doesn't look quite that "military", then I highly recommend the Tosten grips. You can't get quite as many buttons on the Tosten as you can on the Infinity, but you may find that what they offer is enough for you. The feel is very ergonomic, and I find they provide a cleaner, more modern appearance.

I've flown with both, but I put Tostens in my RV-6 when I bought it.

Back